Outlook 2011 won't sync with iCal

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FlossieT, Jul 12, 2011.

1. FlossieT macrumors newbie

Pre-Office 2011, I used to have my Entourage calendar synced with iCal (as a stepping-stone to onward synchronisation with my Google calendar).

Having installed Office 2011, I opened Sync Services in Outlook and checked the box next to my calendar (which is part of my Exchange account). Despite numerous restarts of iCal, Outlook and the computer itself, however, my calendar information is stubbornly refusing to propagate to iCal.

What have I missed?? I've downloaded and installed Service Pack 1, so it's not that; and I'm not getting any error messages - just a complete absence of data in iCal. Is there some other secret box somewhere I should be checking?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Rachael

2. stacey80302 macrumors newbie

I am having the same exact problem. However, I am only trying the sync the "on my computer" Outlook 2011, not an Exchange account.

I installed SP1 and also the newer update. I have re-set iSync, restarted all several times, etc. and can't seem to get the data from Outlook to show up on iCal (or vice versa). Also, even though I have unchecked sync services in Entourage 2008 the Entourage calendar is still showing up in iCal. Hoping someone has ideas!

3. stacey80302 macrumors newbie

May be Outlook 2011 conflict with Entourage?

FlossieT : after many more agonizing hours, and even 2 hours on the phone with Microsoft, I finally got this to work on my end. The Microsoft tech had me delete all the .com.microsoft.xxx.plist items (user/library/preferences) and ultimately uninstall and re-install the software, but that still did not work. I had already uninstalled Office 2008, but the Entourage calendar kept reappearing in my iCal. So finally, thinking this might be part of the conflict, I did a spotlight search for Entourage and deleted the remaining items with Entourage in the names. Then I deleted all the microsoft .plist items again.

Then, I turned OFF sync services in Outlook 2011 and quit the app. I quit iCal too. I reset sync history in iSync (find iSync > preferences > reset sync history) and waited until the "enable syncing on this computer" line came back online. I quit iSync, relaunched Outlook 2011, re-checked sync services options, and for the first time (ever) the contacts and calendar were able to sync with iCal and Address Book.

Phew. I hope this helps you, too.

4. jfeinberg macrumors newbie

I too have been having these issues. I tried the method suggested by stacey80302 and had some success...checked sycning in real time and new entries to outlook calendar were showing up in ical and new entries in ical were showing up in outlook calendar. After about 24 hours, though, that syncing stopped working. I have tried resetting the sync history in exactly the suggested fashion. That has resulted in all of my calendar entries showing up in ical, but any new entries do not show up. In other words, restarting sync results in a one-time snapshot of my calendar but new entries to either ical or outlook do not change.

Anyone have any other ideas as to how to handle this?