Outlook 2016 vs Mail.app

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Cricketman, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Cricketman macrumors regular

Hello everyone,

My university email is based on outlook, and I have received a Microsoft 365 subscription from my school. I just purchased a new MBP and I am trying to figure out which is better mail client to use. I like using the native OS X apps for the seamlessness between my devices. However, outlook definitely seems more robust. I will admit i know little about these e-mail clients and I would like any and all input!

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Compare with stock Mail app, Outlook for mac does not have very huge advantage when comparing between two of them.

To be honest, two of them are just identical, for basic functions, in my experience. Office 365 is not a really good reason to convince users using Outlook, rather than stock Mail client. Maybe, Outlook could provide slightly better support on exchange account (such as your office 365 account).

Oh, if you use Windows version Outlook, I strongly recommend you use it under Windows because it is so great.

3. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

I used Outlook for a while with the Mac 2016 preview but have switched back to Mail since moving to El Capitan. The swipe gestures is what made me do it. I just can't find any value in Outlook anymore, unless you HAVE to use it for work (like email and meetings are done through Exchange) I wouldn't use it. It's just gotten so bloated and clunky. Even on Windows 10 the new built in mail app is better than Outlook 2016. The best way to sum Outlook up is it's still a decade old program in a 2016 skin. Outlook 2016 on Windows doesn't even support 2 factor authentication for Microsoft accounts, you have to create an app specific password. Pretty pathetic if you ask me.

4. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

I kept having the stock mail app crash/freeze on me. Never really liked outlook. Thunderbird is what I use and have never had any probs with it. All my email/calendar events are done thru it and has never failed on me.

5. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

I would recommend Thunderbird as well. It has a lot of useful features, and the extensions offered are a great help as well. Plus, it is easy to backup.

6. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Mail is SOOOOOOOOOOO slow with Google Apps emails so I use Outlook.

7. Freezekitty macrumors newbie

I love the outlook 2016 beta, I really want to get 365 over the mail app. If you don't want the subscription and its transferable LMK :)