Outlook Account in Mail

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Kirk Boragine, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Kirk Boragine macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Again, I'm sure this is fairly common knowledge around here. Apologies, I've searched and haven't come up with a definitive answer and the web is filled with many supposed solutions. However Tiger on a PowerPC is a special case at this point. I had the Outlook account on Mail at one point. It had some certificate issues but I was receiving mail. Now I've cleaned up my other accounts online due to the volume of them and re-added those accounts to Mail. Everything is working smoothly now except Outlook which fails to connect with IMAP.. Is it legitimately possible to use an Outlook account on Tiger Mail?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The Mail app just uses the settings you give it.

What's the issue exactly? Sending, receiving or both?

Do you have the right ports open? Generally, those are 587 and 993. The standard ports will fail. Authentication correct?

I'm not using an outlook email account any more but I do recall they wanted SSL turned on.

3. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

Both. Just not making a connection. Ports are right. SSL in on for both servers. Authentication is password. I'll try again.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Although Outlook Mail online says I should use TLS for IMAP and STARTLS FOR SMTP. Mail only offers SSL.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would check if Outlook wants you to create app specific passwords or not then.

Recently, I added my Yahoo account in to Entourage 2008. Everything was correct, but signin kept failing. Turns out Yahoo wanted me to add Entourage as an authorized app and then it created a password for that app. Once I gave Entourage that password (instead of my Yahoo account password) it all started working.

It's possible Outlook has something similar I'd imagine.

5. Kirk Boragine thread starter macrumors member

Kirk Boragine

They do. Two step authorization or something like that. I was thinking the same thing. I know I've used it before. Checking that out, thanks.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 14, 2017 ---
    Got it sorted out. I needed to take all accounts online then the certificate error came up. I put the certificate in my keychain and it's all working now.

6. Hack5190 macrumors 6502a

Hack5190

Damn, I finally know someone with a Yahoo account :D

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

LOL!

It's actually the oldest email account I have.

I took a multimedia class in 1999 and part of the class requirements was an email address. So, Yahoo was where I opened the account.

Guess that makes it about 18 years old now. :D

8. pet84rik macrumors member

pet84rik