Outlook and Gmail Sync

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Azrael169, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Azrael169 macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

Hoping someone on here is a gun and can help me with this.

Been using Outlook 2011 (and Entourage before that) on Mac for years now. Looking at migrating away from Outlook and using Gmail solely now since it can basically do everything I want (mail, contacts, tasks, calendar etc) and probably has a better sync function with the iPhone compared to Outlook (damm you Microsoft!)

Problem is I have years worth of calendar entries, extensive contact lists and my email is sorted meticulously into folders for tax/online purchases/etc etc where my gmail has no order whatsoever, just 37k emails sitting in that inbox.

Is their anyway to make Outlook sync with Gmail and transfer contacts/calendar entries/sort my gmail inbox into those folders? That way i can walk away from Microsoft?

I dont care if I have to upgrade to the new version of outlook, I dont care if i have to migrate my profile across to Windows version of Outlook to make it happen or if i need some 3rd party software. I'll happily pay the money.

Thanks in advance for the help guys.

*fingers crossed*

2. Sully macrumors regular

Sully

Have you tried the on line Outlook (i think it's actually called office 365) suite of apps from Microsoft? I use both services with my Apple products and I'm trying to decide between google docs and office 365 for my business right now. These services are comparable and I can't really give the edge to either one.

Since you have everything on Outlook already, try looking at outlook email on line and the suite of apps. It's really very good and I haven't noticed any difference in syncing or any other functionality between Google's suite of apps and Microsoft's. The email functionality from either service is great.

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

I think you need to provide more details.

Who is your current email provider? Is it the Gmail account you speak of? Are the sorted emails in IMAP or Exchange folders or are they On Your Mac?

You didn't say you have an Exchange account synced on Outlook so can we assume your calendars and contacts are exclusively in Outlook?

4. Azrael169 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im trying to migrate away from Microsoft and just use Gmail instead. Microsoft on Mac has never had good sync services and i'm not giving up my iPhone any time soon. Trying to make my email/calendar/contacts/to do list online, hence trying to find a way to make the sync... so i can ditch Outlook.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 7, 2016 ---

Ok email is currently with Gmail. I dont have the pleasure of having a exchange server, its just a personal Gmail address... So its IMAP. Gmail hooked up to Outlook via IMAP.

Outlook is hooked up to my Gmail. Problem is i've been using Outlook to organise my email/contacts/calendar/to do list. I'm now trying to find a way to migrate it back to sync and update the order/folders/deleted emails back to Gmail.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You didn't say whether the sorted emails/folders were IMAP folders or if they're in Outlook as "On My Computer" folders but from your description it sounds like they're under "On My Computer".

You've got three migration issues.

With email, you can just create identical folders (labels) at Gmail, then use Outlook to copy your mail from your organized folders to the ones at Gmail. Gmail space limitations (15GB) are your main concern there. The emails will upload to Gmail and will show up at the web portal as well as in Mail when you add the account.

With your contacts, you can select contacts from your list and forward/email them to yourself as vCards and then import them at Gmail or into Mac Contacts.

Calendars are tricky. I think there are some third party options that may work. Perhaps someone here has done it recently and can share.