Outlook and me.com account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlliFlowers, Mar 15, 2016.

1. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Outlook works flawlessly almost all the time. But every now and then it simply decides the settings for my me.com account are wrong. I have the same settings on a PC using Outlook 2013, and my Mac using Outlook 2016. The PC pulls my mail just fine. My Mac will not. It was fine a few days ago.

I don't understand where the p##-mail.me.com comes from. p-what? If I had any hair, I'd be pulling it out!

2. CreatorCode macrumors regular

CreatorCode

3. campyguy macrumors 68030

Also, refer to this MS web page:
    https://support.office.com/en-GB/ar...-for-Mac-36548ee7-9c0b-4574-8ddf-331833822d6e

I run a small business with a few Mini Servers, one of which hosts internal email (IMAPv4). Outlook was beating up my email server - mainly timeouts. Changing the "Sync all IMAP folders every ___ minutes" from the IMHO absofrickinlutely idiotic default interval of 2 minutes to 15 minutes resumed normal behavior on my Macs and my mail server. Outlook - the app - contains several embedded apps that perform the polling of accounts; I used Little Snitch to observe Outlook's activities, and it took only 2 or 3 Macs with Outlook to keep my mail server "occupied" with requests of polling and synchronizing. On my Mac, I changed my iCloud account polling interval as well.

Keep in mind that, like me, iOS devices polling those accounts can add to timeouts as well. MS's default Mail app and Outlook 2016 (for Windows, which I also use) seem to be "smarter" - I changed the sync interval defaults in the Accounts Settings panel for those apps as well.

4. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

It's just not connecting at all. Here is what I have. I've tried it both with and without the @me.com on the user name.

Screen Shot 2016-03-15 at 1.10.00 PM.png

5. campyguy macrumors 68030

You've got me there so far, sorry to offer. My only two adds are to try the .icloud or .mac domain as an alternative to .me (I use the former two) and to check for the correct password as in are you using two-factor authentication? For the latter, I've removed and re-added an IMAP account a couple of times to the point where I've just disabled it on my iCloud accounts that I use for just email. Beyond that, I have nothing more to offer...

A tip? Check your screenshot - your email address/user name is in full view. Cheers!

6. AlliFlowers thread starter Contributor

AlliFlowers

OMG...I forgot the [expletive deleted] two factor again! Thank you, @campyguy !!