Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
So I'm in the process of switching from gmail to Outlook for some of my email. I've backed up, cleaned up, forwarded, etc. It's *almost* working the way I want it to.

One thing I can't figure out in Mac mail is how to make the outlook categories show up. Is this not possible?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So I'm in the process of switching from gmail to Outlook for some of my email. I've backed up, cleaned up, forwarded, etc. It's *almost* working the way I want it to.

One thing I can't figure out in Mac mail is how to make the outlook categories show up. Is this not possible?

That won't be possible since Outlook.com is essentially applying a filter on the web page to apply those categories.

You could mimic some of the features with different Smart Mailboxes in Mail. For example, this one would show only messages with image attachments.

Mgtgqyv.png

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Outlook.com categories?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Yeah was wondering the same thing when I saw this thread. Perhaps the OP meant folders? If so they are there.

No, no, it's something new-ish that isn't folders. I thought he might have meant that as well, but I was pointed to it. Dunno how to do a shipping Smart Folder, though.

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
Yeah was wondering the same thing when I saw this thread. Perhaps the OP meant folders? If so they are there.

No, I meant Categories. They are different than the folders.

----------

That won't be possible since Outlook.com is essentially applying a filter on the web page to apply those categories.

You could mimic some of the features with different Smart Mailboxes in Mail. For example, this one would show only messages with image attachments.

Gotcha. I will try that. Kind of a bummer. Maybe MS will add support for it eventually.

david2013ike

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2013
Anyone lost their emails from their Hotmail inbox? Haven't logged in to my Hotmail for sometime now but when I logged all of my emails are gone. So I think it has something to do with changing it from Hotmail to Outlook.

Microsoft says its just a name change but a lot of people lost their emails too. Never happened to me and I usually log in every few months because its not my primary email anymore still very important emails are in my inbox.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
For people who are using the Mail App with a Outlook.com email address is anyone having problems with mail not deleting?

I delete the message in the Mail app but when I log into outlook.com the message is still sat in my inbox. I have setup the email with the IMAP settings from the Outlook.com website. :confused:

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
Resurrecting a very old thread here...

Does anyone know of a Mac email client that supports Outlook / Office 365 categories?

mikzn

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2013
North Vancouver
Resurrecting a very old thread here...

Does anyone know of a Mac email client that supports Outlook / Office 365 categories?

I use "Groups" in apple mail to categorise contacts ( and categories in outlook) and if I drag the contact to outlook from apple mail the "group" automatically shows up in categories - unfortunately it does not work the other way - if you open a .vcf card in apple mail the category does not automatically enter into groups.

that said they are similar in use?

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I use "Groups" in apple mail to categorise contacts ( and categories in outlook) and if I drag the contact to outlook from apple mail the "group" automatically shows up in categories - unfortunately it does not work the other way - if you open a .vcf card in apple mail the category does not automatically enter into groups.

that said they are similar in use?

I’m really looking for a client that will support Outlook categories in a way that would sync the categories natively on the Exchange server. So far the only third party app I’ve come across is Preside (iOS only).

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
I’m really looking for a client that will support Outlook categories in a way that would sync the categories natively on the Exchange server. So far the only third party app I’ve come across is Preside (iOS only).
Any update on this issue? Seems that Mail.app still can't do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.