outlook.com mail not working

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DerekRod, Nov 24, 2013.

1. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Has anyone else had trouble making the new outlook.com email work in mail.app?It works on my iPhone not on my MBP after I installed the mail update

2. hafr macrumors 68030

Are you adding the account as pop or IMAP? Is the account offline, or simply not syncing? Have you tried removing the accounts and re-adding it?

3. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Trying to add it as Imap

4. hafr macrumors 68030

Okay. Tell me more, how are you going about to do it, and what's not working the way you want it to?

5. Wolffie macrumors regular

Wolffie

6. DerekRod, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Im trying to set it up as an exchange account.There was an outlook option in mail set up but the Mavericks mail update broke it.It sets it up fine but can't retrieve my email.All I want is to have my email working with the mail app so that when I get an email my MacBook gets it as soon as its sent

7. hafr macrumors 68030

You won't be able to set it up as an Exchange account because Apple doesn't support it, and if it has ever been possible - it was a long, long time ago. Also, Exchange and IMAP are not the same.

You have the option to set it up as a POP3 account, or as an IMAP one. Neither will push incoming emails to you the second they come in.

8. jsf721 macrumors 6502

So outlook.com will push to an iphone but not to a Mbp?

9. hafr macrumors 68030

Correct. The iPhone uses Exchange ActiveSync, something that is only accessible for mobile devices. There is, as far as I know, no way to fake Mail being a mobile app and get push that way.

10. jsf721 macrumors 6502

Thanks for all your help. I am quite new at this. Would that delay the delivery of mail to the MBP? Meaning the mail would hit the iphone before the MBP by like 15 min (the fetch time?)

The reason for all my questions is becasue I curently use gmail set up as exchange. And with the changes they made killing the free service I am looking for a new mail service. I really would prefer to not pay for 3 email adresses at 5 bucks a month. Although changing email adresses is a PITA.

Thanks again for your help over several posts, you have been very helpful and I thank you.

Thanks,

11. hafr macrumors 68030

You can have Mail check for emails every minute if you want :)

I'm using Outlook.com as a mail hosting service for my private domain. 50 free addresses, Exchange ActiveSync to the iPhone and IMAP on the computer. Plus SkyDrive (7 GB per address), Office web apps... I think it's great. I used to be all about Zoho, but when Outlook.com started offering IMAP support - I was sold :)

As long as you don't use the web browser to access your email, it's seamless to use Outlook.com as mail host whilst keeping contacts/calendar on Gmail or iCloud.

12. jsf721 macrumors 6502

I hope you don't mind more questions:

1. If I buy a domain for 4.95/yr from Network Solutions, can I use outlook.com to push it? This way I am sure to never have to change my email agress again.

2. if i decide to pay for gmail do i get to keep the my existing gmail address.

3. Thanks again..............

13. hafr macrumors 68030

Yes. If you buy jsf721.com Just go to https://domains.live.com and set it up. In case you need help, there are great guides online that made it very easy even for a knucklehead like me to set it up in a matter of minutes.

I have no idea, but I can't see why not.

14. LoveMyPens macrumors member

Why do you say not to use the web browser?

15. hafr macrumors 68030

Because on the web, you can only see your Outlook.com contacts, and you can't sync your Outlook.com contacts with the computer.

16. DerekRod thread starter macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Weird because there used to be an outlook option in mail and it even pushed all my emails ever since the update it stopped doing so