outlook.com question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsf721, Nov 26, 2013.

1. jsf721 macrumors 6502

If I set up a new outlook.com email and set it up on the new iphone I will be getting today will it set up as exchange? or is there a special set up to follow?

I cannot find any info on specifics and any help is appreciated.

I was looking for a free service to replace gmail that was stopped after 1/30/13

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's IMAP, unless you have some other settings for Exchange.

Settings:
    Incoming Mail:
    imap-mail.outlook.com
    username: your email address
    Port: 993

Outgoing Mail:
    smtp-mail.outlook.com
    username: your email address.
    Port: 587

You'll want SSL on with authentication set to password. Just did this this morning so it's fresh in my mind.

3. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Your iPhone has an Outlook.com button in the list of account types to add. Use that button and it will ask you for your email / password / description. That's all you need to do. The account will be a true ActiveSync client to Outlook.com. It will behave the same as an account partnered with a traditional Microsoft Exchange Server (Exchange button).

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Not in iOS 6.

5. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I need to set up the email adress on outlook prior to setting up the phone?

6. hafr macrumors 68030

No.

On your phone: settings > mail, contacts, calendars > add account > outlook.com

Here you simply enter your hotmail.com or outlook.com mail address and your password - and you're done.

Push email all the way :)

----------

That's true. There's a workaround for iOS 6 though to make ActiveSync work. I can't remember it, but it should be fairly easy to find with a simple internet search.

7. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand the question. You need to have your outlook.com account setup first. Then you may set it up on your iPhone.

8. jsf721 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. Then I plan on forwarding the gmail to outlook for delivery to my phone. Goes that sound like a plan. I hope the gmail to outlook.com forwarding is fast so that there is little delay.

I appreciate the help.

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

After reading through the entire thread, is this process only if you have iOS6? My mother purchased an iPad Air and we couldn't get her AOL email to connect even though AOL is on the list of accounts. So we had to opt for YAHOO mail. May I ask you how to troubleshoot this? I was able to use my AOL on my 4S, but can't figure why AOL won't work on her iPad Air.

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm sorry, the only AOL account I have is for instant messaging. I don't use it for email, so I've never set up an AOL account for myself (or anyone else) on any device.

That said, I would assume it's a simple matter of going to Settings>Mail…>Add New Account and pressing the AOL button. That's under iOS 6.

The settings I provided are for setting up an email account with an outlook.com address. You'll notice in my screenshot that there is a button for hotmail. I've never tried it and I am only guessing at this, but perhaps setting up an outlook.com or live.com email address can be accomplished by using the hotmail setup. But, I don't know.

iOS 6 was out before live.com went to outlook.com and hotmail was still a valid setup for a Microsoft email account.

I know this doesn't really help you, but I don't see why using the AOL account setup for an AOL email account would NOT work.

I have NO idea what the screen looks like in iOS 7, so therefore no idea if AOL is an option under iOS 7. I assume you could use "Other" and then just plugin the AOL server info. That can probably be obtained by doing a Google search. If there's an option to choose IMAP or POP, I'd choose IMAP, but if POP is all AOL will allow then that's what you'd be stuck with.

Attached Files:

11. hafr macrumors 68030

Why on earth would anyone prefer setting up their outlook.com/hotmail.com/live.com (they're all the same) address as an IMAP account instead of as an Exchange ActiveSync account? It makes no sense.

It's even easier (yes, in iOS 6 as well) to set up than an IMAP account...

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

outlook.com is an option under iOS 7.

iPad Air is under warranty, contact Apple for support. AOL is an available option on iOS 7.

Also, your post has nothing to do with the original post. Start a new thread next time. The setting you quoted is for outlook.com under iOS 6, which is not related to your question.

Attached Files:

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Because I never considered setting it up as Exchange/ActivesSync and was unaware I could do that until this thread. My familiarity with Exchange extends to the poor and inadequate knowledge I have in trying to keep it working here at work on our Windows SBS 2003 server. Mainly that knowledge consists of restarting the server whenever no one can get email.

Anyway, if I can make it work on a PowerMac G4 Quicksilver and a 17" PowerBook G4, both using Entourage 2008 and running Leopard 10.5.8 as well as on my iPhone 5 I'd be open to that. If it won't work on those two Macs because of the limitations of software, OS and processor (PowerPC vs Intel or just being a Mac in general) then it's better I stick with IMAP.

I don't really have any reason for ActiveSync by the way. I don't own any Windows Mobile phones any more and when I did they were both WinMo Pro 6.1. Nor do I use any PCs in any kind of primary computer role at home. Just my Macs.

14. hafr macrumors 68030

I'm confused. Why are you talking about PC, mac and other phones?

Just go to your email account settings in iOS. Add a new account. Exchange. Enter your address as username and your password, use m.hotmail.com (or m.outlook.com) as server - and you're done.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OH, I see. OK. I thought that Exchange option was just for an actual work environment that had an Exchange server.

As to Macs/PCs and why I mentioned them. At any given time I'm on my Macs at home or my iPhone. I like to keep my email synced. So, setting this up on the iPhone is fine, but only if my email is going to be in sync with my Macs.

And again, I don't use ActiveSync. Unless I misunderstand something (and I probably do), ActiveSync is something meant for PCs and Windows Mobile devices.

16. hafr macrumors 68030

EAS is mobile devices only, and it will not affect your computers (or other mobile devices) at all. Basically, EAS is like IMAP but with more sync options (calendars and contacts, in addition to mail and notes) and push instead of fetch.

So the only difference in your entire setup is that your email experience on iOS will improve :)

17. eyoungren, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

OK, thanks! I use Google for my calendars and I don't sync Notes, but getting push notifications would be ideal!

Thanks again!

EDIT: Well tried this. I can get it to work. Had to change the server to s.outlook.com (found on an MS forum). Unfortunately, I can't edit folders and with that I cannot change where the trash goes. If I can't change that I can't fix the Mail error that tells me I can't delete anything. So back to my old IMAP setup.

Thanks though!

18. hafr macrumors 68030

That sounds very strange.

Just to try it and see if anything was broken, I added an outlook.com address as an Exchange account on my iPad (running iOS 6.0.1), and it set up automatically without having to add the server. Nor can I change the server settings afterwards. The same way as adding it as a Hotmail account in other words. Push, editing folders, it was all there and working flawlessly.

Well, in case you're only syncing mail and can stand having mails dropping in at the most fifteen minutes after they would have been pushed to your account - I guess there's no real loss for you having to use IMAP. But this IS supported natively in iOS, so there's no reason why it shouldn't work for you...

19. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, I'm jailbroken. So, that might account for it. It's not a big deal though as this account is not a major account for me. I tend to collect email accounts so I've got a list of them as long as my arm while only using a few.

I did learn something though so thanks for all of that.