Outlook e-mail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NDimichino, Sep 4, 2008.

1. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

How do I set up my school e-mail on my phone? They use Outlook, is it possible by going to the "other" section when creating?

2. mlemonds macrumors 6502a

mlemonds

going to need more info than that, go to your schools website and see what type of email protocol they use: IMAP, POP3 and Exchange are common ones

3. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I was browsing for awhile looking for it, where would I find that kind of information about the e-mail service? Should I just call the tekkies at my University?

4. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

For schools, it's probably either pop3 or IMAP, which iPhone supports. Follow the direction on email setup, or call your IT dept.

5. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

No to be a complete pain, but instead of finding out, I just tried to set it up every which way and nothing has worked.

Could someone define and give examples of the "Host names" for Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers. That is where I guess I'm entering incorrect information. It's puzzling to me.

Thanks for the responses guys.

6. RJ17 macrumors regular

It is going to depend on what your school uses. What school do you go to?

7. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I go to William Paterson University, I know it's going to be different for every school.

ww2.wpunj.edu <--- is that one of the Incoming or Outgoing?

8. StoneColdSober macrumors 6502

You could probably get a quicker response by just contacting your school's IT department.

9. NDimichino thread starter macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

I know that's what I first thought but then I remembed how horrible my school is with making things easy and having people with information readily available. You'd understand if you went there. It's so bad I'm trying this first haha.

10. RJ17 macrumors regular

From http://www.wpunj.edu/email/

Get online and, if using a browser, follow the directions above.
    If using an Email Client such as Outlook Express, Netscape, Eduora, Pegasus, etc. configure the settings by entering your name, address, etc. as normal. Your SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) is student.wpunj.edu

11. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Will one of you do my laundry next?

12. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Most Universities won't give you IMAP or POP information, but many email services offer email forwarding. If you can use email forwarding, just setup a Gmail account (or another type that offers IMAP), forward your school email to that new account, and then setup the new account on your iPhone. You can even set it up the Gmail to appear like it's your school email - both in terms of what it looks like on your iPhone, and what it looks like when you send a message to another person's inbox.