Outlook & Exchange 2003

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by HelpdeskRules, Dec 1, 2011.

1. HelpdeskRules macrumors newbie

I'm told that Outlook 2011 for Mac wont connect to Exchange 2003 via SMTP and you need Exchange 2008 to connect to - is this the case?

If so is there any way I can use Outlook 2011 using a different method?

Is there an alternative free program to Outlook or shall I just let them have access via Outlook Web Access?

2. ctucci macrumors regular

No to the best of my current searches, on Outlook 2011. I had to backtrack to Entourage to hook up to Exchange 2003.

3. interrobang macrumors 6502

Outlook will work just fine as an IMAP+SMTP or POP3+SMTP client for reading mail. So will Mail, Thunderbird, or any other client from the last ten years.

It will not work with Exchange features like calendaring or Out of Office. For calendar support, you would need Entourage.

4. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Setup as an exchange account won't work, but POP and IMAP should work. An administrator will have to enable these services for the user.

5. HelpdeskRules thread starter macrumors newbie

It has now been setup using IMAP and is working OK.

I thought it was a bit odd when everyone kept telling me it wouldnt work full-stop. I think they were just looking for problems to try and discourage people from getting Mac's here.