Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmpotash

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
I will be buying my first Mac, (imac), and want to transfer my PC's:

1.Outlook Express emails and address book to imail.

2.My browsers favorites/bookmarks- I use FireFox and will use that on my Mac. My girlfriend uses IE and will use Safari.

I noticed the instructions in the beginners section at the head of this forum, but it was for Outlook, not Outlook Express, so I wasn't sure it would work. Does tranferring it to Thunderbird on my PC, then copying the emails/address book on a CD to transfer to the imac work?

SpookyLars

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
Poland
E-mail. There is a utility called DbxConv that helps you to convert messages form Outlook Express to standard mbox (used in Apple Mail). Look at the mentioned website for more info.

Bookmarks. Just export bookmarks from Firefox, and then import them in Firefox or Safari on Mac. It's very simple.

Hope it helps. Enjoy your Mac!

ZiggyPastorius

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
Berklee College of Music
What's iMail?

Seconded.

For number 2, there should be something in Firefox to create a file that contains all of your bookmarks and the like, and that should be compatible with the Mac version. IE to Safari, I don't know. You could probably find some info about transferring bookmarks on Mozilla's website, or asking Clevin. He seems to be an expert on everything Firefox.

Or, the alternative is to give yourself a far superior Browser with Opera. :D

mmpotash

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
iMail???

OK, but you all knew what I meant.
Thanks for the answer!;)

Hates

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
London, UK
Does tranferring it to Thunderbird on my PC, then copying the emails/address book on a CD to transfer to the imac work?
Yes it does, this is how I did it for my Outlook emails & folders. I bought some 3rd party tool to do the trick but it only imported half my messages, and even then most were blank.

mmpotash

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Help!

OK, I've read a bunch of forum threads from various sites on how to transfer my Windows PC emails/addresses from Outlook Express to my new imac "mail" program, but it just isn't working.

I downloaded Thunderbird into my Windows PC and successfully transferred all my messages/settings/addresses to Thunderbird, no problem. I then tried to find the "export" portion of this application so I could copy my emails/addresses from Thunderbird on my PC and then import them into Thunderbird on my new imac, (thinking that they would be in the "mbox" format). Then I planned on transferring them to imac's "Mail" program.

But in my PC I could only find the "import" function on Thunderbird, not the "export". I then searched for any files with "mbox" in them, but came up with nothing. I know that once I copy those I can transfer it to my imac, but I cannot seem to be able to find an "export" function on Thunderbird on my Windows PC, or any "mbox" files.

mmpotash

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Help, continued

I also tried the DBXCONV.EXE file, downloaded it but could not open it.:rolleyes:

Hates

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
London, UK
But in my PC I could only find the "import" function on Thunderbird, not the "export". I then searched for any files with "mbox" in them, but came up with nothing. I know that once I copy those I can transfer it to my imac, but I cannot seem to be able to find an "export" function on Thunderbird on my Windows PC, or any "mbox" files.
You don't export the mailboxsm you just find them on your PC and copy them across to your Mac. They also don't have mbox extensions. Check the article below.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050402143519725

Chris Rogers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
my house
mobile me will move your windows contacts to the cloud then to your mac. You get a free trial anyway and it would take minutes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.