Outlook Express to Imail

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mmpotash, Aug 6, 2008.

1. mmpotash macrumors member

I will be buying my first Mac, (iMac), and want to transfer my PC's:

1.Outlook Express emails and address book to imail.

2.My browsers favorites/bookmarks- I use FireFox and will use that on my Mac. My girlfriend uses IE and will use Safari.

I noticed the instructions in the beginners section at the head of this forum, but it was for Outlook, not Outlook Express, so I wasn't sure it would work. Does tranferring it to Thunderbird on my PC, then copying the emails/address book on a CD to transfer to the imac work?

2. mmpotash thread starter macrumors member

3. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

4. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

E-mail. There is a utility called DbxConv that helps you to convert messages form Outlook Express to standard mbox (used in Apple Mail). Look at the mentioned website for more info.

Bookmarks. Just export bookmarks from Firefox, and then import them in Firefox or Safari on Mac. It's very simple.

Hope it helps. Enjoy your Mac!

5. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Seconded.

For number 2, there should be something in Firefox to create a file that contains all of your bookmarks and the like, and that should be compatible with the Mac version. IE to Safari, I don't know. You could probably find some info about transferring bookmarks on Mozilla's website, or asking Clevin. He seems to be an expert on everything Firefox.

Or, the alternative is to give yourself a far superior Browser with Opera. :D

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

OP probably means Mail

7. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I think we were both just being hard-asses :) Kind of like the iTouch/iPod touch distinction.

8. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Oh yes that seems logical LoL.

9. mmpotash thread starter macrumors member

iMail???

OK, but you all knew what I meant.
    Thanks for the answer!;)

10. Hates macrumors regular

Yes it does, this is how I did it for my Outlook emails & folders. I bought some 3rd party tool to do the trick but it only imported half my messages, and even then most were blank.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are at least two products with "imail" in their names. IMail Server v10 is a Windows-based mailserver. iMail is a MacOS X widget that counts unread email messages.

12. mmpotash thread starter macrumors member

Help!

OK, I've read a bunch of forum threads from various sites on how to transfer my Windows PC emails/addresses from Outlook Express to my new imac "mail" program, but it just isn't working.

I downloaded Thunderbird into my Windows PC and successfully transferred all my messages/settings/addresses to Thunderbird, no problem. I then tried to find the "export" portion of this application so I could copy my emails/addresses from Thunderbird on my PC and then import them into Thunderbird on my new imac, (thinking that they would be in the "mbox" format). Then I planned on transferring them to imac's "Mail" program.

But in my PC I could only find the "import" function on Thunderbird, not the "export". I then searched for any files with "mbox" in them, but came up with nothing. I know that once I copy those I can transfer it to my imac, but I cannot seem to be able to find an "export" function on Thunderbird on my Windows PC, or any "mbox" files.

13. mmpotash thread starter macrumors member

Help, continued

I also tried the DBXCONV.EXE file, downloaded it but could not open it.:rolleyes:

14. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Well I wonder why it wouldn't open, Because it is a Windows Executable maybe?

15. Hates macrumors regular

You don't export the mailboxsm you just find them on your PC and copy them across to your Mac. They also don't have mbox extensions. Check the article below.

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050402143519725

16. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

mobile me will move your windows contacts to the cloud then to your mac. You get a free trial anyway and it would take minutes.