Outlook Express (Windows) to Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Ivan P, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Hey guys,

I just had a phone call from a friend that has just bought a Mac (though she said the unforgiveable lines: "I got a Mac...but I don't know why, I just don't understand what it is...").

The point is, on her Windows machine she used Outlook Express for her emails and wants to transfer her folders over to Mail.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The official method Apple recommends is to sign up for a MobileMe 60-day trial; which offers a large Apple-hosted mailbox via IMAP; set that up on the Windows computer, copy all of your messages from your Outlook Express local copy to the MobileMe Apple-hosted mailbox; then set up Apple Mail to use MobileMe. If you plan on not keeping MobileMe (yes, they use this as a technique to sell MobileMe,) then copy the messages from MobileMe to the local Apple Mail copy.

You can do the same with Gmail, though; as it offers free IMAP.

3. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

You know, people go way overboard with the ************************** thing.

Especially when I did do a Google search before posting this thread.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Well you can't have done it very well given the first page of results is full of the information you need.

5. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

None of it is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not interested in buying Outlook for Mac or whatever. As I've said, this is for someone that doesn't even understand "what" a Mac is, yet she got one - it will go over her head.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You don't have to buy it, you can get a free trial.

If everything is over her head then there isn't really much hope. Unless you want to pay for an app to do it the process is a little complex and long winded.

7. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Heh, to give you an idea of the phone call:

Hi, I just got a Mac and need some help, I want to move my Outlook Express stuff to it.
    Ok, well if you use Mail you can easily resetup the account.
    Ok, what about folders?
    I'm not entirely sure because I personally don't use them, but I can look around if you want.
    Yeah, sure. I just got it... [yeah, you just said that] ...but I don't understand it...like...what's it about?
    Well, I personally prefer it over Windows.
    What's so good about it?!
    Pretty much no viruses at the moment, it comes with virtually all the stuff you need for a home computer...
    *doesn't reply*
    ...it integrates perfectly with your iPod...
    Ummm...ok. I didn't think Apple support those...
    [*whoosh*, you hear that? That's the sound of it going over her head. Apple not supporting iPods...frickin' serious?!]

I think she must have realised getting a Mac without doing research wasn't the best idea :p

8. JustGretchen macrumors 6502

OK this is exactly what you do. Seriously, it's not hard, 10 simple steps:

1. Download Mozilla Thunderbird on PC

2. Install Mozilla Thunderbird on PC

3. Run Mozilla Tunderbird on PC. It will ask if you would like to import messages, contacts, etc... from Outlook Express. SAY YES.

4. let Mozilla do its thing and the import will finish.

5. I don't remember the precise location on the windows machine, but in there under C:\Documents & Settings\USERNAME, inside of a hidden folder like "Local Settings", or something liek that you will find Mozilla Thunderbird files. You will see they are called "inbox" "sent" "deleted" etc... They are .mbox files that mozilla creates and you're in luck because Mail.app can import/read .mbox files.

6. Copy these files via external hard disk or USB stick to her mac.

7. Set up her email account on her Mac like normal.

8. In Mail.app choose FILE > IMPORT MAILBOXES > MBOX FILES

9. Choose the files you want to import and do it. They will show up under IMPORTED folders in Mail on the left. She can copy any messages she wants to from those folders into her Account folders, then delete the imported ones because they'll be empty.

10. YOU'RE DONE!

I really should submit this to guides. It's the easiest way to do it. I've used this method about 15 times myself on various Switchers.

9. hunter3740 macrumors member

another couple ways (to get express messages into mail.app)

Always try import: In 10.4's Mail.app (not 10.5), under the File menu, there is "Import Mailboxes...", which has an Outlook Express option, but this is only for that old defunct Mac OS 9 Outlook Express (not Express from the Windows side); ah, so close to super easy!

With that said, I would go with options above (or not mentioned) that follow the premise of "import to something mutually agreeable, then import into Mail.app", but all will require some knowledge of where the folders/file are located and how to copy them. I like the Thunderbird option, there is also Vista's Windows Mail (import, then "ren *.eml *.emlx", then http://www.cosmicsoft.net/emlxconvert.html), and there's a Windows program (i.e. search the web) to convert your .dbx to .mbx (and then rename .mbx to .mbox and then copy over to Mac and import to Mail.app).

Wish there was an easy way for you/her, but your friend should change her expectations to include some work (via various methods), and then enjoy the fruits of her/your labor!