Outlook for Mac fixed yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wayneholbrook, Oct 22, 2011.

1. wayneholbrook macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

I'm sorry if this has been addressed already. But I keep checking back now and again to see if there has been a fix or a work around for syncing contacts and iCal with outlook for Mac since with Lion there is no more active sync.

How can Microsoft go this long without a fix? How can they possibly expect Mac users to use this software without it syncing with iCal?

What am I missing here?

So frustrating

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

You're missing the fact that Outlook is designed to be used in an Exchange environment. That's about it, really.

3. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

With all due respect, I can't agree with your answer. Outlook for Mac is Outlook for Mac, meaning it all should work fine with a Mac not just a few features. We are all aware that it is used for Exchange, but if that was the case then then previous versions would not have worked either, and the previous versions did in fact work just fine.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

5. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

6. ozaz macrumors 65816

Don't know about you specific issue as I don't use this type of sync, but in case you don't read it, the office for mac blog posts periodic articles about Lion-related issues and updates http://blog.officeformac.com/

7. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Read all the blogs and it looks like problem has existed for sometime with no fix in sight. Almost unbelievable that Microsoft has no answer for several months. I can't believe more people aren't upset with this. You buy a product and it doesn't work the way it should and they have no answers.

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Are you serious? You do understand that this is Microsoft you are talking about, don't you? As BrianBaughn told you, Outlook is intended to be used to be used in an Exchange environment. Given that, it works only with Exchange 2007 and above. In this regard, Outlook 2011 is no more compatible with Exchange than Mail. If you don't have an Exchange 2007 [or higher] account, then there are better solutions that Outlook 2011. You insist on using it anyway. If you ride the Microsoft horse, then you must go where the Microsoft horse takes you.

9. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Well then that horse you keep talking about has been taking a lot of wrong turns and can't make up its mind on what direction it's taking. Since previous versions supported iCal sync before and every thought before purchasing 2011 is that it would continue. So tell us what horse we are riding or where that horse is going before calling it Office for Mac then not supporting basic functions. And by the way, I do use exchange as well. Let me steer your horse due south!

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Knowing all that, you insist on using it anyway:rolleyes:

11. wayneholbrook thread starter macrumors regular

wayneholbrook

Dude, seriously? Really? Let me break it down for you Harvard Grad, I did not know these things when I purchased it. When it came out it supported iCal, I'm not sure why you are not getting this. Roll your eyes again until you come back full circle and re-focus.

12. ozaz macrumors 65816

So is it not possible to connect address book and ical with exchange?
    If it is, why would you rather sync with outlook?

13. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

When Outlook 2011 came out it supported iCal? Well, if that's true you do have a beef. The product page at Microsoft has apparantly dropped any reference to that.

I'm not really sure why one would need to sync Outlook 2011 to iCal and Address Book. Maybe if you explained we'd see it your way.