Outlook for Mac Office 365 - nope

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jeff750, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Jeff750 macrumors newbie

Outlook for Mac 2011 has always been a real laggard - slow and unresponsive - so I was glad to hear M$ released a new version (Outlook for Mac Office 365) that was supposedly a lot better.

So I installed it. And then I uninstalled it.

Why? Because it was a CPU hog. I wondered why my fans were always revving up to high, so I started launching Activity Monitor. It would report Outlook consuming almost half of my quad-core i7's computing power!

So I dumped it and went back to Office 2011, crappy as it is. Oh, by the way, I go through this torture only because at work I have to use Outlook. For all my personal stuff I leave M$ junk software alone and use better alternatives. It's just amazing how bad their software is. You've been warned!

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

It's new. You're the first I've heard. Others will probably complain. Updates will be issued. Rinse and repeat.

3. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I'm not experiencing the CPU issues you are OP. My MBP is cool as a cucumber. But, that is not saying that this Outlook update is any better than 2011. I've been having to close the app and restarting just to get it to sync with our companies server after waking the computer up. Right now I am thinking it's really not an improvement other than a different color scheme.

Wasn't really expecting much though. :eek:

4. iCletus macrumors newbie

5. BasicGreatGuy, Dec 24, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2014

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I haven't experienced any fan problems with the program. I think the OP's experience is not reflective of the norm.

6. someoneoutthere macrumors regular

No issues or whatsoever here. I rarely (<1/week) get incorrect pw message for one of my university email accounts, but I don't think that's got anything to do with Outlook itself.

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Thanks for quoting me. Otherwise, I may not have noticed that I had left out the word 'not' (re: not reflective of..) in my previous post.

I think the OP should give the program another try.

8. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

9. Pyrotechnic macrumors 6502

Pyrotechnic

No issues here either, I quite like it now and it does feel smoother. Syncs perfect. :)