Outlook/G-Mail/IMAP Functionality

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrogersscf, Jun 20, 2012.

1. mrogersscf macrumors member

I am trying to move some older POP e-mails which are residing on my hard drive to a GMAIL account. I thought you could do this through Outlook by moving the e-mails from the POP folder to the GMAIL inbox, but it isn't syncing these e-mails with GMAIL webmail once I move them. What am I doing wrong? Settings in GMAIL have POP disabled and the account in Outlook is set up as IMAP. Any help?

2. Kingofnima macrumors newbie

Pop is one way traffic. You have a Pop server for outgoing and incoming. Incoming will retrieve E-mails and download them to your Pc/Mac (possibly also deleting them from the web-mail server). Outgoing will send them tot the mail-server to be send out.

So, you will not be able to upload your E-mails back to your in-box this way. You might be able to export them and re-import them.

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

OP isn't looking to move mail on a client to the POP account. OP is looking to move email from the client to gmail via IMAP.

4. johnmacward macrumors regular

johnmacward

If you have Apple Mail, set the Gmail account up there - this is easy as poo as there's a prepared account already in place for GMail. It will setup an IMAP GMail account which will allow you drag the mails into Apple Mail inbox and they will sync with Gmail.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

This is definitely the way to do it on a Mac. You can get them to upload via Outlook 2011, but in my experience the emails get re-stamped with the current time and date. Using the Mail app keeps the original time/date data.

A lot of mail can take a while, but it'll finish eventually.

After the transfer you can use Outlook as the client if you want.

In Windows I'm not quite sure what happens.

6. johnmacward macrumors regular

johnmacward

I'm no expert on Outlook 2011 or Outlook on the Mac in general but isn't setting up IMAP to work properly an absolute impossible task in Outlook or have things got better?

A year or two ago I tried to get a Gmail account up and running in Outlook 2007 in Windows and it stank so badly, I installed Thunderbird. I had to find away of linking remote folders to local folders and requesting they sync correctly. There was no intelligence involved.