Outlook & Google Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AFPoster, Nov 1, 2014.

1. AFPoster macrumors 65816

A few years ago I was a diehard Outlook user because of my work and Mail for my personal email (like keeping things separate).

I now have Google Apps and have had it for the past 2 years. What I've read is that Google Apps uses the term Labels for sub-folders and the the synchronization between Google and Exchange is perfect, except for when it comes to Outlook. Is this really true? With the new update to Outlook I'm contemplating making the switch back instead of using the cloud based login. If I do, will it transfer all my labels, and if I create new labels will those transfer to the cloud version as well.

Does anyone know?

Thank you!

2. campyguy macrumors 68040

No, it's not true, at least for the Mac version of Outlook. Google Apps Sync for Outlook isn't supported for OS X, it doesn't support the Messaging Application Programming Interface (MAPI), which is required for Google Apps Sync to communicate with Outlook. I moved away from Google Apps about 18 months ago to Office 365, but a friend of mine with a small business does - we both use Outlook, he gets his mail via IMAP and he bitches about his labeling getting all munged up. I use Airmail for my client Gmail app, and it works pretty well.

GSync for Outlook is Windows-only.

You likely know by now that the new version of Outlook is only available to Office 365 subs, and there's no option to connect to Google Apps (yet?) so I can't offer feedback about that. I've been using Outlook 2011 as well until late last week.

And, Google Sync isn't and never was "Exchange", and I know that's what a lot of people have been led to believe - Google cut licensing ties with MS quite some time ago. GSync would work on the Mac platform of Outlook and wouldn't require a plug-in for the Outlook Windows platform...