Universal Outlook iOS app does NOT work with ANY Gmail accounts?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by striders, Jul 29, 2016.

1. striders macrumors 6502

The Outlook iOS app supposed to work with ANY email account: Gmail, iCloud, Microsoft, etc.

I tried to setup my Gmail account in the Outlook iOS app, but kept getting this error:

"Unable to login. Set IMAP folder".

I tried this with both personal Gmail accounts and Google Apps (for work) and both got an error. IMAP is already enabled in all of the Gmail accounts.

I have 2FA in all my Gmail accounts and enabled App-password, but Outlook iOS will NOT accept the App-password.

Does anyone have this kind of issue or Outlook iOS is NOT compatible for GMail (personal or Google apps)?

2. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Outlook with gmail works on my phone and ipad - worked on 9.3.3 and now on iOS10 - it's a great email client for iOS

I think I had to change the security on gmail site to get it to login.

EDIT - I just checked and I have "turned off" the 2 step verification

3. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah, that's why.

I can't turn off 2FA since that is required for my work Gmail. Having said that, I hesitant to turn that off for my personal Gmail since that account tied to my other Google services like Google docs.

4. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

I have my own gmail account running on outlook. I am not familiar with app passwords but I do have 2FA enabled and outlook accepted my authentication passcode.

5. Shark5150 macrumors 6502a

Shark5150

Me too. It works for me.

6. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Crap, looks like the 2FA is not causing it. I didn't make changes to my Gmail SMTP settings, or any settings in that matter. Been the same for at least 6 years.

Lemme poke around more, I'll update to 9.3.3 and see what happen.

7. striders thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, got it to work. I have to enable "All Mail" in the Labels settings in Gmail.

BUT, now I receive no notification when an email is received in the Outlook app. Not even badges.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling by no go. In the meantime, I still received notification for other apps, like Mail, Tapatalk, etc.