Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Hello,

I am trying to tinker with Mail to appear as Outlook, the two main things I want to do is have layout of 3 vertical panels not like Mail one vertical two horizontal panels, is it achievable? (added in Leopard mail) and last is group emails by date of delivery, basically breaks emails into clumps and adds tabs depending of criteria like dates Todays, Yesterday, Thursday and Last week emails, is there a way to do that?

Example

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
half the answer
2222459151_cd2a0ed87c_d.jpg

Mozilla Thunderbird

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
A second vote for Letterbox. The leopard version works fine in 10.5.2, thank God, because I don't what I would do without it. That's one thing (among several) that irks me about mail is having the preview at the bottom part of the program - like Outlook Express and others circa the mid-nineties.

In any event, you can group emails by date of delivery by creating smart mailboxes for today, yesterday, and this week. To do so, select Mailbox from the menu bar, select New Smart Mailbox, then change the name of the smart mailbox to "Today." Then in the popup menu that defaults to "From" select Date Received and the second popup menu will default to today. Click Okay and the smart mailbox will be added to the sidebar in mail.

Rinse and repeat for additional smart mailboxes for yesterday and this week by choosing the appropriate selection from the second popup menu after you selected Date Received in the first popup menu. When you're done you should have three smart mailboxes, one for today, one for yesterday, and for this week. Works like a charm

Sorkvild

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2007
You can set up Smart Folders or rules and set it to Date Received to group emails of a specific date.

EDIT: What VanNess said.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.