Outlook Mac 2011 - lost all folders and email

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mirandashawyer, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Mirandashawyer macrumors newbie

Hi I hope you can help

I have a 2011 MacBook Pro with Outlook.

The mac run out of battery.

When re-charged and re-started all outlook folders and email have gone.

I can't go back on the time machine as its in Australia and I am now in the UK for the next month.

And the servers that I have the email on aren't organized into folders its just 200,000 random historical emails.

If you haev any ideas please let me - I'd be very grateful.

All the best

Miranda

2. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Did you get any error messages or anything?

You can try rebuilding the database (in case its broken). Details are here but read the caution before going ahead.

3. Mirandashawyer thread starter macrumors newbie

I followed those instructions and it just created a new Microsoft User Data Folder in my Documents folder.

I can see that when the mac ran out of power that it also created this folder yesterday in the Documents folder.

However, when I open up Mircosoft Outlook still there is nothing so not sure how to point Outlook back to the data?

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

bit flummoxed but its probably worth posting in the applications thread as well as the MS Office 2011 support pages. You're probably more likely to get better attention to your problem.

5. borisiii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope you get them back.

My experience of using outlook on windows is that it just randomly deletes all your emails around once a year.

If you have lion it will take local snapshots, so you may be able to get it back by entering time machine even though you don't have your backup drive.

6. Minicube macrumors regular

I hate to say it, but I found Outlook for Mac so buggy I had to stop using it. It sounds like your TM backup may be your only option. Have it shipped?

7. RaclardLurox macrumors newbie

Outlook update

I accepted the invitation to update Office and have lost the content of Calendar. Time Machine restore doesn't remedy the problem, because with the restored database Outlook refuses to open, requiring a reinstall of the entire suite. Outlook also now refuses to accept new calendar entries.
    Like others I have a long-standing relationship with Outlook, but for Calendar I'm reverting to iCal (despite its shortcomings, etc.). If you're lucky to see the warnings, ignore the update. If you've done the same as me I commiserate.
    (I suppose I could try to restore the whole Office app, but isn't that literally going backwards, Microsoft??)

8. freedom178 macrumors newbie

hei~
    I think you may try some outlook recovery tools to help you find them back.
    Here are some tools, most of them provide a free demo, so you can have a try, I hope they can help you~good luck~
    http://www.datanumen.com/aor/compare.htm

julie