Outlook to Entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joe5, May 16, 2009.

1. joe5 macrumors newbie

I am expecting delivery of my first Mac on Wednesday. I have been using Outlook 2003 for years and wish to move my files to the iMac. I already have the Office 2008 software. Can I simply import the .pst files into Entourage?

2. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

No unfortunately you can't. I have this problem too whilst i was migrating data for some friends I ended up purchasing this software. It will convert the PST files to formats that entourage / mail can understand - mbox files etc

http://www.littlemachines.com/

3. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

4. joe5 thread starter macrumors newbie

This seems a bit absurd that Entourage can't import an Outlook pst file directly. I guess it is a way to discourage people from switching to Mac.
    Thanks for the replies,
    Joe

5. PKGuy323 macrumors newbie

See, this is a typical scenario. If M$ OS can't be on every piece of computer hardware, then it will create software that is "just enough alike" to get you to buy it, yet it won't match ALL of the feature sets.

6. nadyne macrumors 6502a

At this time, Entourage doesn't support directly importing PST files from Outlook.

If you're using Exchange, you probably don't need to import anything into Entourage. Just enter your Exchange account details into Entourage, and your mail, calendar, and contacts will be automatically downloaded.

If you're not using Exchange, I wrote a blog post a few months ago about moving from Outlook to Entourage that lists out the various methods for accomplishing this.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

7. embedded macrumors newbie

Any chance the Snow Leopard Exchange client will be able to?

8. malarana macrumors newbie

9. PC2iMacUser macrumors newbie

Outlook contacts WITH notes to entourage

I read through dozens of forums and messages.
    I'm a professional computer user who just purchased an imac and wants to get business done.
    My number one priority is: getting contacts from Outlook 2003 to my mac - WITH the notes field, categories etc and w/o secretive script. So far the forums show a pretty dull response - no go - is what I understand.
    MacStor promised: no problem.
    Please no referring to obscure web pages with "3rd party solutions" beta versions and 2-day shareware stuff
    Any ideas?
    Thanks

10. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

couple more questions

Hi Everyone -

I am looking to make "the switch" in the next month (cross fingers, arrendale). Well, I too have gigs worth of PSTs. There are critical to me for searching. Here is the rub - only 1 GB of the mail is online in the Exchange server, the other 4-5 gigs is archived, only present in the pst itself.

So, my questions:

1. If I convert this mail, will it still reside in the folders they live in now? e.g. clients, t&e, prospects, inbox, sent, etc - or is it all dumbing to one folder? or some manual step to sync it all up?

2. I primarily want spotlight indexing this stuff, so does it make sense to move old archive mail to Mail.app and let Entourage do live mail (not-archived)? I would rarely run Mail.app, only when I have a search hit to look into.

3. Can I connect Mail or Entourage to Exchange, yet still import 5 gbs of old mail? Will it try to Sync that old mail to the server (and ultimately fail due to quotas)?

any other solutions? I just want to be able to search the old stuff.

big thanks - mail is the #1 thing making me nervous about the switch. I am a power user of Outlook mail and it looks like Mail and Entourage are both going to fall short of my expectations and this is a biggie to me.

11. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I don't have personal experience with the third-party applications that will move your data out of Outlook PSTs and into Entourage.

As I understand it, the third-party solutions will maintain your folder structure. Your best bet is to contact the makers of those third-party solutions to ask this question.

Entourage has local folders (that is, folders that are not synced to your Exchange account). If you store your mail in those local folders (in Entourage, they're the ones under "On My Computer"), then you'll be able to search it (both within Entourage, as well as from Spotlight).

In Entourage, if you have anything in your local folders, that won't be synced to Exchange. Likewise, if you move something from your Exchange folders and into your local folders and delete it from your Exchange folders, it won't reside in your Exchange account any longer.

I do know some folks who have written AppleScripts to automatically move Exchange messages from their Exchange account to Entourage local folders when the message is of a certain age (say, 3 months old). That is, quite honestly, outside of my AppleScripting expertise. :) If you're interested in something like that, you might find that the people on the entourage-talk mailing list or in the Entourage forum might be able to help out. More Entourage users hang out in those forums than do here, so those are usually pretty good places to ask Entourage questions. :)

As an aside, if you're connecting to Exchange 2007 (SP1 RU4 or later), you should use Entourage for Web Services instead of Entourage 2008. (If your Exchange account is on a beta of Exchange 2010, you must use Entourage for Web Services. Entourage 2008 will not work.) Entourage for Web Services gives you additional Exchange functionality over Entourage 2008, and it's faster too. Entourage for Web Services is included in Office 2008 Business Edition, and it's a free download for users of Office 2008 Standard Edition and Office 2008 Special Media Edition.

We are bringing Outlook to the Mac in the next version of Office:Mac. It's coming out in time for your holiday shopping pleasure in 2010. We haven't announced a lot about it yet, but there are a few details yet, which are in my blog post Outlook coming soon to a Mac near you. For you as an Exchange user, we've announced that Outlook will support Information Rights Managed messages. There's more goodness coming, which will get announced on both my blog and Mac Mojo, the MacBU team blog.

I would love to hear more about your experiences in moving from Outlook to Entourage, so please feel free to post comments to my blog as you go along.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

12. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

Very helpful post, thanks. I can certainly update you on my experiences. I own my own company with a mix of mac and windows laptops all using Exchange via a cloud (or host). I think that setup will provide some good info for you. I will PM you with my info...

13. RandomKamikaze macrumors 6502a

RandomKamikaze

Nadyne quick question regarding Office for Mac.

Is there any plans for this to be available on Technet or MSDN?

14. nadyne macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I'm on the tech team. I'm not privy to decisions about how it's distributed. :(

Regards,
    Nadyne.