Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
I have almost no complaints about the latest version of Outlook. Unlike 2011 the latest version works like a charm with my configuration. However for some uses I still use Mail and or Thunderbird. What are the pros and cons of each email application? One drawback to Outlook is that it’s not as nice as Mail and Thunderbird at replying to long emails line by line. It’s also not as configurable as Thunderbird. What do you say?

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Outlook is my work preference due to Exchange servers.

For personal, I use both Mail and Spark. Spark is pretty good but lacks a couple of things like forwarding an email as an attachment that Mail can do. From time to time, Mail gets flaky (I generally run the latest Public Beta of macOS), and when it does, Spark comes to the rescue.

All are capable, it comes down to preferences for most people.

jwolf6589

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
Colorado
Outlook is my work preference due to Exchange servers.

For personal, I use both Mail and Spark. Spark is pretty good but lacks a couple of things like forwarding an email as an attachment that Mail can do. From time to time, Mail gets flaky (I generally run the latest Public Beta of macOS), and when it does, Spark comes to the rescue.

All are capable, it comes down to preferences for most people.

Outlook for mac or Outlook for Windows? They also use Exchange at my work but I am stuck on Windows due to various factors.

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Small company owner chiming in, needing to connect to an Exchange Server (2016) and Office 365 (transitioning to Business O365 sometime this year). Apple Mail is actually pretty nice to use with Exchange, and it's extensible. I use Outlook 2016 for Windows in a VM for 95% of my work-related email, and I also have an old Lumia 650 with a Win 10 ROM loaded as a supplementary email "notifier".

My company uses both Windows and Macs, but company email is restricted to the Windows clients for now. I'm demoing the Mac Outlook client, interested in it since MS announced (in January) that all of their Office applications moved to a unified code base for their key apps. I'm on the Fast Ring, and Outlook is improving mightily by the week - but I find that its configuration to be not as granular as the Office app. With Office 2019 in opt-in testing at the business/enterprise level (I haven't opted in), I'm holding out for that suite's email client before I bless the Mac client as being an option on my Macs and Mac VMs. Outlook for Windows for now, my judgment is reserved for a few more months...

Outlook on the Mac platform still restricts non-Exchange data to IMAP-only email accounts, but that's a non-issue for me.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Windows and Exchange just go 'hand-in-hand''

It's like Vanilla & Chocolate ice-cream.. :D

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Outlook for mac or Outlook for Windows?

Windows? What's that? :)

I primarily use Mac. I have a corporate issued 8 year old Win10 laptop, and a few work things require Windows. But, they are coming around as we are developing a lot of Mac and iOS apps, and a good number of users are demanding Mac support. In reality, there are now only a few things that I do at work requiring Windows, so I find myself using Mac 99.9% of the time, logging into Windows maybe 2x per month for a few minutes and often avoiding the tasks that require Windows unless absolutely necessary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.