Outlook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by daviddsims, Dec 23, 2009.

1. daviddsims macrumors newbie

Guys I am trying to set my mac mail on the dock to use outlook. Is there a way to have it setup on a mac? Thanks.

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Not quite sure I'm on the same wavelength, but I'll give it a go. First, the shortcut for the Mail application, with the eagle and the postage stamp, is for Mail only, unless you change the icon through the backend. Second, there is no version of Outlook for Mac. The equivalent application in Microsoft Office for Mac is Entourage, which has similar features to my understanding. If you wish to actually use Outlook, you'll need to consider installing VMWare/Parallels so you can use Windows applications while running the Mac OS.

3. daviddsims thread starter macrumors newbie

basically I just want to forward all incoming outlook messages to my mac mail program whether it be gmail or another. So when I get an outlook email message it will just pop up on the screen like gmail. I do have entourage on my mac but never use it.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

To be honest, I understand your second post even less than your first post. :confused:

If you have an e-mail address served by a Microsoft Exchange Server (the typical kind of e-mail handled in Outlook in corporate settings), then how you do this will depend on how your Exchange Server is set.

1) If your exchange server supports Exchange access from where the computer is, then you'll need to use a program that's compatible with Exchange (I don't think GMail has this capability).

2) If your exchange server supports IMAP access, then first you have to get the IMAP info for it, and then plug it into your mail program.

3) If it supports neither, the only thing left is if your company can set a forwarding address to automatically redirect your e-mail to another kind of account.

Otherwise, you're SOL.

5. cderalow macrumors 6502

cderalow

in snow leopard it is as simple as adding the account to mail.

here's the basics:

outlook, is a microsoft office email client, which enables access to a proprietary email server setup (exchange). entourage is the mac equivalent, and while it shares quite a few features, it isn't as powerful as outlook is (microsoft being microsoft there). outlook enables you to use any of the standard variety of email server systems (POP, IMAP, HTTP, Exchange). alternately, outlook express functions similarly to outlook, but lacks some of the usability and exchange capacity.

mail, is apple's equivalent to outlook. it enables you to access emails over any of the standard server systems (POP, IMAP, HTTP, Exchange in 10.6/Mail 4).

in order to add an account to mail, you simply open mail, go to file, and add account. fill out the basic information, and it'll determine what type of account you have.

if it's an oddball, you may need some information about your email servers, but otherwise it's pretty straight forward

6. daviddsims thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that is what I am looking to do. I just want to have it to be my default mail service in the mail icon on my macbook. I guess I will have to find the servers incoming and outgoing names to make it work right.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Usually, there's either a page on your company's IT site telling you how to check your Outlook e-mail at home, or there's a page telling you how to set up a mobile device, and you can figure it out from there. If not, you can typically just call them. :)