Outlook

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anfield11, Apr 28, 2010.

1. anfield11 macrumors 6502

I Have a friend who is debating between a Blackberry and an iPhone. He uses outlook for all his contacts etc. Will he be able to sync that with the iPhone? Thanks

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Yep, Outlook works perfect with the iPhone.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Outlook will also allow you to sync contact pics, Calendar, and Notes.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

He can use Outlook, but the answer really depends on what he uses Outlook to check.

For example, if his Outlook is linked to an IMAP G-Mail account then I'd suggest syncing the phone directly with G-Mail instead of syncing with Outlook at all.

So it really all depends.

5. anfield11 thread starter macrumors 6502

He's a realtor, so uses it for his email, contacts and calendar mainly. He doesn't use gmail, but uses an email address that is set up for the office he is at. Right now he uses Outlook on a PC :(

Thanks for the response so far.

6. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

From a business perspective, I'd say go with the Blackberry. For a normal person, I'd say iPhone.

His work probably uses Exchange or the ActiveSync protocol, so it will work with the iPhone. Unfortunately, there is no central place for calendar mail messages etc.

I've been trying to get Outlook 2010 to work with the iPhone, but it fails as I assume Outlook 2010 doesn't register itself as main main handler or iTunes is just oblivious to it.

7. phrint macrumors 6502

If his employer uses an exchange server then that is what he would sync with the iPhone. Any other IMAP email account would work fine. A POP account would cause issues because the messages would not sync across all programs.

I have used a BlackBerry and iPhone at the same time for business and I still preferred the iPhone at the end of the day. In fact, I gave up my BlackBerry and used my personal iPhone for the business. The BlackBerry for business assumption is quickly going out the window with the advances iPhone/Android is making and the fact that RIM is standing still.

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You need an add-in for iTunes to work with Outlook. Have you made sure you have all the updates for Outlook?

9. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I didn't need an addin when Outlook 2007 was present. (I'm part of a TAP so I get builds of Microsoft Software).

10. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Oh, okay. I have 2003 and it needed one. I just figured all the versions needed one if you had iTunes.

11. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Hmm, that's interesting. Maybe I'm missing something, but what does this plugin do? Does it install automatically?