Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac mac mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2008
Bellevue, WA
Hi,

I did a lot of research, and learned that the only way that I can output true 5.1 surround sound to my home theater system is in several applications like DVD Player and VLC Player. I have no problem outputting 5.1 sound in VLC, but I can't get DVD Player to work.

From what I gathered, I need to go the Preferences in DVD Player, and under Disc Setup, I need to change Audio Output to Digital Out so that DVD Player will not mess with the audio format and pass it down to the home theater system. However, it's set to System Sound Output and it's greyed out. I tried to re-launch the application but no luck. I also verified in System Preferences, Sound, it does show that output is Digital Out. Does anyone have any idea?

When a movie in DVD Player, my receiver shows the signal as PCM. Playing the same movie in VLC, the receiver displays the source as Dolby Digital. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cave Man

macrumors 604
Make sure there's not a DVD inserted when you launch DVD Player. If there is, then you cannot change audio output.

Also, while DVD Player app is nice, you should also download and try Plex. It's a bit clunky in the interface, but once learned it's pretty easy to navigate. But most importantly, it has the richest codec support for multimedia, including the ability to extract DD and DTS cores from True-HD and DTS-HD audio on the fly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.