Output to an HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TRIFORCE89, Apr 19, 2008.

1. TRIFORCE89 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently purchased a DVI-HDMI cable. I want to use my Sony Grand WEGA HDTV as an external monitor for my MacBook Pro. I don't care if it's mirrored, or extended, or if the HDTV is the only monitor on - I just want it to work.

Preferably I'd like to output at 720p.

And it does. It's just that if "Overscan" is checked off then parts of the display are cutoff (mostly on the top and bottom, a tiny bit on the sides). If "Overscan" is not checked off, then the display is centred on the HDTV and surrounded by a black border. I've tried other resolutions, but nothing gives me the desired effect.

All I want is for it to fill the entire screen on the HDTV and for nothing to be cut off. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

2. EricVT macrumors member

It won't do it nicely. I was disappointed to find this out as well, and I am still unsure of what the problem is. I have the exact same issue and was never able to correct it, and didn't get much help here when I asked the same question so I assume the short answer is that the MBP's video output is not really meant for HDTV sets since it seems to work so poorly on them.

I tried using a few different pieces of software to correct it by defining my own resolutions and changing the output timings and whatnot, but it still never completely fixed it. Rather disappointing.

3. TRIFORCE89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know. It is disappointing. Was looking forward to using Front Row.

It seems very odd though.

4. airfrancisco macrumors regular

I was able to get full screen on my 32" Sharp Aquos 32D40U using this setting from DisplayconfigX:

Timing

Horizontal;

Active 1224
    Front Porch 136
    Sync 80
    Back Porch 208
    Total 1648

Vertical;
    Active 684
    Front Porch 27
    Sync 6
    Back Porch 35
    Total 752

Refresh Rate 60

Hope it'll work for you!

5. maddogeco macrumors member

different acspect ratios

different aspect rations is you problem your MBP screen is 16x10 and your telly is probably 16x9 but if your watch movies in 16x9 they should fit neatly