Outputting MBP sound to a Guitar Amp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BornToMac, Jan 31, 2012.

1. BornToMac macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

I am looking to connect my MBP directly to a guitar amp to output sound from Reason and Garageband to the amp. I have searched the forums and most of the threads I have found have to do with getting audio into your Mac for recording purposes. I want to go the other way so that I can jam with some friends.

I have tried adding a 3,5mm adapter to a 1/8" guitar cable and plugging into my audio out jack but with no success. So my question is:

1: Have any of you guys been able to do this? Is there any special hardware needed?
    2:Is there any risk of power traveling the line and frying my MBP?

Thanks!

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't have a guitar amp per se, but I do connect my MacBook Pro to an amp.

I use the optical output that connects to a DAC which then produces a line output to an amp for my headphones.

3. snaky69 macrumors 603

I don't think the MBP can output line-level sound to an amp, and guitar amps are meant to accept Hi-Z input. I think you're going to have to run a DAC to get this to work.

4. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Ok thats a good place to start. Do you guys have any experience with any DACs that don't cost an arm and a leg?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Off the top of my head, no, I'm not too knowledgable about these things, as I just got into the market.

I recently bought a focusrite pro 24 interface which I currently use as a DAC to output to two studio monitors and a powered amp used as a sub, probably overkill, but it was cheap at that moment.

I suggest you head over to http://www.gearslutz.com/ , the guys over there are both very knowledgable and helpful.

6. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

7. BubbaMc macrumors regular

Does your guitar amp have a line-in? (usually labelled mp3-in)

If it doesn't, forget about it.

8. BornToMac thread starter macrumors 6502a

BornToMac

Just in case someone is searching threads and still looking for an answer, I figured it out. You need a 3.5 mm (headphone) stereo to 1/8" mono cable. You can get them for around $6 at Guitar Center.