outputting multiple dvds from one fcp file

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jelloshotsrule, Oct 19, 2008.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hi all-

so i have a roughly 6 hour edit that is edited down into a bunch chapters (like 50-60 several minute sketches) in final cut. my question is, how can i most easily go about creating dvds from this edit? i guess ideally i'd maximize quality (though it's already so low, vhs capures)... and have 2-3 discs with the first x chapters on one, the next y on the second, etc...

i have very limited experience exporting from fcp for dvd specifically. i have either idvd or dvdsp (or toast) for use. however, i'd like to keep it simple, not really needing any fancy menus and such (a simple still BG would probably do it for me...)

thoughts? any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2. -DH macrumors 65816

With 6 hours of program, you still have a few options:

1) Author and burn two dual layer discs (vol. 1 & vol 2).

2) Author and burn 3 single layer discs

3) Purchase a DVD recorder and record 1 disc in the 6 hour mode.

-DH

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ok cool. i'm happy to go either way. though double layer on 2 discs sounds better.

my main question is the process for doing this... i'm in fcp with 6 hours, cut up into chapters (with chapter markers) and i want to be able to utilize those in the dvd set up, not having to add them all again in the dvd software. what is the best method of export that allows me to utilize the markers? i guess i can either just make 2 3 hour edits and export separately for the 2 discs. will dvd software be confused at all by disc 2's chapters starting at 30 or whatever?

thanks again

4. -DH macrumors 65816

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule