Outrageous Delivery Mistake!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by pevainer, Sep 10, 2009.

1. pevainer macrumors newbie

I ordered a new MacBook Pro 15.4' with 2.8ghz etc. from Amazon.com.
    At first everything seemed to be fine. Once I opened the box (it was thoroughly sealed) i noticed scratch marks all over this "brand" new Macbook which was already odd. When opening the screen I also noticed that there were finger marks all over the keypad, as if it had been previously used! Turning on the notebook didn't bring me to the regular Registration screen; instead, it logged in directly and took me to the desktop. When clicking and opening the hardrive it was apparent that someone had already registered the MacBook although there were no files in it. The "Last change" date was on the 29th of June: I ordered it on the 26th of August. You can imagine how angry I felt when looking at this $2,300 used piece.

Now my question is:

If it was thorougly sealed, was it some sort of serious mishap at the Apple factory? Or could it be some sort of delivery mistake on Amazon's part?
    They still haven't answered to my complaint.
    :(

2. Creative One macrumors 6502

Creative One

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No call Amazon first. It is their shipment.

4. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

In this instance, unboxing pictures would be good for something other than showing off your expensive goodies ;)

5. pevainer thread starter macrumors newbie

Very true. I feel like an idiot for not doing that...
    And i'm terribly scared that Amazon or Mac might not replace or refund it.
    I've never had this happen to me and it's all pretty weird...

Sent the electronic refund/replacement order. Apparently everything is moving smoothly... Thanks for the help!

6. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

If you didn't get what you paid for, and you have a receipt...and proof of the wrong item in your possession now (shipping label and/or box), I don't see how they could deny you.

7. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Amazon is really good about stuff like this. Contact them. It sounds like you received a returned unit, which has happened to me before with Amazon (they sent me a used PS3 with scratches all over it and a game disc inside).

They offered me two choices, 20% off the PS3 or a replacement product. I chose the replacement product.

The shipped me a new PS3 overnight immediately, then e-mailed me a UPS label to send the used unit back. They even offered to have UPS pick it up.

This happens because people take advantage of Amazon’s liberal return policy and mark the return item incorrectly. Amazon doesn’t check every return item. It’s likely the item got marked as “not opened” on the return slip, and they didn’t catch that it was in fact opened and used.

8. pevainer thread starter macrumors newbie

Something else I just checked, before sending the wrong MacBook Pro back to Amazon:

I found that the serial number on the box is different from that specified on the computer! How could that happen? I'm very confused about all this even though I am getting a replacement, something seems to have gone terribly wrong with the delivery. How could that have happened? :confused:

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Definitely call and speak to them about this.

10. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Sounds like somebody bought the macbook, put their old one inside, returned it, and kept the new one.

Amazon should take care of it.