Outrageous Laptop Requirements for College

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by utube9195, Jul 18, 2011.

1. utube9195 macrumors newbie

The difference required between laptops running Windows 7/Vista and Apple laptops is so discriminatory. For a Windows-based laptop they require at least 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 3 GB RAM, and 120 GB HD. But for the Apple-based laptops they require you to have the newest MacBook Pro released this year, which has a 2.3 GHz i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, and a 320 GB HD. Like seriously, what accounts for these differences, and why is the 2010 MacBook Pro not accepted :eek: ??? It's like they either hate Mac users or they are trying to sell people the new MacBook Pros :p

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Either buy a windows machine, or load windows on your C2D MBP, or buy a new MBP or contact your school for an explanation and amplification on the rules.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Colleges are always over stating the requirements. My college said I needed a Windows 7 machine with an Intell iX CPU with 4Gb of ram or faster. I laughed at the person that told me. Needless to say, my Blackbook got me through with thunderous results that left the profs' chins scrapping the floor. They no longer think of 4 year old Macs as "outdated".

4. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    That is odd . . . is it a requirement they check up on? I can't imagine the IT department going to every room to check what computer you have--although maybe they have you use a program to register with the network that checks. I went to college just 8 years ago and there were students who used only computer lab PCs and had no computer of their own--not ideal, but it worked for them.

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Simple the Macbooks do not cut it and you need something of better specs or it is lacking some critical features.. It has to be something currently sold so you have to get a MacBook Pro.

That Windows 7/Vista laptop you can buy. Macbook of needed spec you can not buy.

6. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Buy whatever you want. I don't think a laptop with 2 gigs of RAM won't mean you can't use it.

7. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever MacBook you have; if they somehow check(I'm 99.999999999999999999978% sure they will never check what specs your laptop has) you can boot into windows and then you're above the min specs anyway.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Without specifics, no one can help you. For all we know, there could be an issue with the OS X nVidia driver for specific software that your school requires.

It could also be that your school doesn't want you getting a used computer for your college career.

9. utube9195 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's alright guys, just needed a place to rant. Apparently they have this "online laptop checking program."