Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

utube9195

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
The difference required between laptops running Windows 7/Vista and Apple laptops is so discriminatory. For a Windows-based laptop they require at least 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 3 GB RAM, and 120 GB HD. But for the Apple-based laptops they require you to have the newest MacBook Pro released this year, which has a 2.3 GHz i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, and a 320 GB HD. Like seriously, what accounts for these differences, and why is the 2010 MacBook Pro not accepted :eek: ??? It's like they either hate Mac users or they are trying to sell people the new MacBook Pros :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Either buy a windows machine, or load windows on your C2D MBP, or buy a new MBP or contact your school for an explanation and amplification on the rules.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Colleges are always over stating the requirements. My college said I needed a Windows 7 machine with an Intell iX CPU with 4Gb of ram or faster. I laughed at the person that told me. Needless to say, my Blackbook got me through with thunderous results that left the profs' chins scrapping the floor. They no longer think of 4 year old Macs as "outdated".

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
That is odd . . . is it a requirement they check up on? I can't imagine the IT department going to every room to check what computer you have--although maybe they have you use a program to register with the network that checks. I went to college just 8 years ago and there were students who used only computer lab PCs and had no computer of their own--not ideal, but it worked for them.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
The difference required between laptops running Windows 7/Vista and Apple laptops is so discriminatory. For a Windows-based laptop they require at least 1.6 GHz Core 2 Duo processor, 3 GB RAM, and 120 GB HD. But for the Apple-based laptops they require you to have the newest MacBook Pro released this year, which has a 2.3 GHz i5 processor, 4 GB RAM, and a 320 GB HD. Like seriously, what accounts for these differences, and why is the 2010 MacBook Pro not accepted :eek: ??? It's like they either hate Mac users or they are trying to sell people the new MacBook Pros :p

Simple the Macbooks do not cut it and you need something of better specs or it is lacking some critical features.. It has to be something currently sold so you have to get a MacBook Pro.

That Windows 7/Vista laptop you can buy. Macbook of needed spec you can not buy.

DWBurke811

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
I'm sure you'll be fine with whatever MacBook you have; if they somehow check(I'm 99.999999999999999999978% sure they will never check what specs your laptop has) you can boot into windows and then you're above the min specs anyway.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Without specifics, no one can help you. For all we know, there could be an issue with the OS X nVidia driver for specific software that your school requires.

It could also be that your school doesn't want you getting a used computer for your college career.

utube9195

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
It's alright guys, just needed a place to rant. Apparently they have this "online laptop checking program."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.