Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
I have a mbp that takes over 50 seconds to go to sleep. I have a friend whose g4 ibook takes about 3 seconds.

i looked into the issue, and saw that my mbp is configured for safe sleep mode.

i found this set of command to disable the safe sleep feature, and enable quick sleep:

$ sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0
$ sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false

unfortunately, this does not help at all. i did restart the computer, but it still takes over 50 seconds to go to sleep, and about 10 seconds to wake up.

Can anyone please tell me how I can configure my computer to go to quick sleep- within 5 seconds? thanks.

slm

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2007
Can anyone please tell me how I can configure my computer to go to quick sleep- within 5 seconds? thanks.

take out the memory :) Macbook needs to save 2/4GB of your memory to harddrive when going to sleep, that's why it takes so long. the less memory - the shorter goingtosleep time.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Try this widget-

http://deepsleep.free.fr/

There are 3 types of sleep-

1. Deep- Write RAM to HD, turn off computer
2. Safe- Write RAM to HD, then sleep
3. Quick- Just go to sleep

The widget allows you to choose what you want. I prefer quick sleep (which used to be the default on older Macs), because I always save my files before sleeping anyway. Plus I'd rather free up that 1.5 GB of HD space.

XTRanger

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2007
Try this widget-

http://deepsleep.free.fr/

There are 3 types of sleep-

1. Deep- Write RAM to HD, turn off computer
2. Safe- Write RAM to HD, then sleep
3. Quick- Just go to sleep

The widget allows you to choose what you want. I prefer quick sleep (which used to be the default on older Macs), because I always save my files before sleeping anyway. Plus I'd rather free up that 1.5 GB of HD space.

i tried the deep sleep, (in quick sleep mode- both the default and widget settings), but it didnt make a big difference (if any at all).

maybe I am missing something else?

thanks guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.