Outsourced Workers Cannot Say Vista

lexus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather
Microsoft's call center workers in India are unable to say Vista prompting MS to get special speech therapists to train them prior to Vista's launch.

This just highlights the reason why Apple do not outsource.

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
lexus said:
Microsoft's call center workers in India are unable to say Vista prompting MS to get special speech therapists to train them prior to Vista's launch.

link? :confused:

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
lexus said:

I had heard that outsourcing is a dying trend, and that some businesses are bringing those jobs back to the US...too many customer complaints, too much hassle with logistics, etc.

Just what I had heard. Can anyone verify?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It's an interesting development. Some call-centre jobs are coming back to the respective countries because many firms in India are now turning away first-level call-centre work. In many situations it's been presented by the companies as 'bringing support back home' but in reality, these days it's increasingly because the Indian call centre outsourcing companies are turning away basic call-centre work in favour of more advisory services (financial advice, insurance advice, second-line tech support, etc). They may have Indian accents which is compounded in unintelligibility by the occasionally bad phone lines, but the average call-centre worker in India is usually better educated than the equivalent worker in Europe or the US - so they're starting to take more advantage of that.

In the near future, you might end up talking to someone in Nebraka for first-line support, and when it's past their area of expertise, you might just get an Indian voice next on the line.

Nevertheless, Indian English speakers who're of a normal level can pronounce Vista to an understandable level just fine. Whoever came up with this piece of news is a moron.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
Sesshi said:
It's an interesting development. Some call-centre jobs are coming back to the respective countries because many firms in India are now turning away first-level call-centre work. In many situations it's been presented by the companies as 'bringing support back home' but in reality, these days it's increasingly because the Indian call centre outsourcing companies are turning away basic call-centre work in favour of more advisory services (financial advice, insurance advice, second-line tech support, etc). They may have Indian accents which is compounded in unintelligibility by the occasionally bad phone lines, but the average call-centre worker in India is usually better educated than the equivalent worker in Europe or the US - so they're starting to take more advantage of that.

In the near future, you might end up talking to someone in Nebraka for first-line support, and when it's past their area of expertise, you might just get an Indian voice next on the line.

Nevertheless, Indian English speakers who're of a normal level can pronounce Vista to an understandable level just fine. Whoever came up with this piece of news is a moron.
http://www.indiaonestop.com/export-electricity.htm
this was interesting, I thought. I wonder if the Indian economy will face the kind of power shortages/rolling blackouts that hit California a few years back. If so, it would seem to make having a support center there a bit of a risky proposition.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Abstract said:
Yeah, complete "moran".
Seeing your avatar of the sheep reminded me... Jesus, protect us from the possibility of Aussie call centres - the Irish are bad enough for people who are supposed to be born 'English' speakers. I'd be going 'Pardon' just as much as the Indians, if not more :p

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
Sesshi said:
Seeing your avatar of the sheep reminded me... Jesus, protect us from the possibility of Aussie call centres - the Irish are bad enough for people who are supposed to be born 'English' speakers. I'd be going 'Pardon' just as much as the Indians, if not more :p
LOL what about Scots? Deep scottish accents might as well be Klingon to me. Although to be honest I'd probably understand the Klingon better!!

The media these days seems obsessed with regional accents. Some of the DJs on Radio 1 or presenters on TV are too darned hard to understand half the time if you're not paying 100% attention. Call me old fashioned but I prefered the days of queens english across the board!! :p

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
Abstract said:
Apparently, you guys have never seen this famous photo that was passed around the internet a while ago.

Haha, good old American protests.
wow. sometime i feel so ashamed to live here.:eek:
if i do end up spending my adult life in the states, i'll live somewhere where people tend to be intelligent, like in a New England college town or something of that sort.

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
Sesshi said:
You'll keep, sunshine. You'll keep...

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Gone but not forgotten.
Sesshi said:
Considering how Americans generally mangle English, would you want them to run a call centre?

Abstract said:
Apparently, you guys have never seen this famous photo that was passed around the internet a while ago.

Haha, good old American protests.
Auto workers are so skilled.

iRepublican

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2006
Nashville, TN
wmmk said:
wow. sometime i feel so ashamed to live here.:eek:
if i do end up spending my adult life in the states, i'll live somewhere where people tend to be intelligent, like in a New England college town or something of that sort.
You should try going to Iran, or Iraq.... if we get lucky we'll see you in a orange jumpsuit on Al Jazeera. ;)