Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Db9938

macrumors member
May 17, 2011
I have, and with regards to specifically the Ipad 2 defender, I can not recommend it. The engineering that went into this is sub-par to other otterbox products that I own currently. (Iphone defender, and Ipod touch defender)

Specific dislikes include: the tabs that cover the headphone jack, does not secure properly, puckering outwards and is easily uncovered, the entire rubber outer jacket does not have a secure fit into the channel of the hard plastic case, resulting in the rubber unseating itself with nothing more than holding it in a normal fashion of use, I have had the top half of the plastic case break, just by holding it on the edge, and I suspect that the home button nub is also a weak spot.

On the plus side: the cover is a piece of genius.

My Mother has an Ipad 1, with a defender around it, and that case, in my opinion totally lives up to the defender reputation, whereas the Ipad 2 case does not. And even though the Ipad 1 case was significantly heavier, and was probably one of the things that the engineers at otterbox was concerned with, unfortunately at the cost of the reputation and my future consideration of any of their products in the future.

DeLoMan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
Try the iPad 2 Otterbox Reflex. I love mine. Great protection and not too bulky. I use it with a Moshi AG screen guard.

krick

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2009
Try the iPad 2 Otterbox Reflex. I love mine. Great protection and not too bulky. I use it with a Moshi AG screen guard.

How's the protection at the corners and edges? From the pictures, it looks to be fairly thin and I'm not sure how much protection it would offer against a direct impact on a corner or edge.

I have both the Griffon Survivor and Gumdrop Drop Tech (.v2) and can highly recommend both for use with kids, with the Griffon offering the most protection and an integrated stand (also key with kids). We have the Griffon on my 7yr old's iPad and I have the Gumdrop on mine.

vwbeaner

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Northern WI
I have the griffin surviver i originally had the otter box and brought it back because i thought it was too expensive for what it was.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I've used the iPad (1st Gen) with no case, a folio case and a shell back since I purchased it. When the iPad 3 comes out, I'm considering passing it on to my daughter for her 10th birthday.

I've been looking into the cases for the iPad. She currently has an iPhone 4 which is in a Griffin Survivor case. Her 3GS was in an Otterbox and I found that it had lots of places for dirt to hide. While a case is great protection, a drop especially face down on gravel can still crack the screen. I replaced the 3GS screen after such a drop.

A side note, her old iPod Touch 1st Generation is in a Griffin Woogie and is used by a three-year-old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.