Over 100 Million iPhones Now in Use in U.S., Nearly Two-Thirds Are iPhone 6 or Later

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 19, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

More than an estimated 100 million iPhones are being used in the United States, according to new data shared by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners [PDF]. At the end of the September 2015 quarter, more than 101 million iPhones were in use, and two-thirds of those iPhones were newer iPhones that have been released in 2014 and 2015.

An estimated 58 million of the 101 million iPhones in use were the iPhone 6 or 6 Plus, while four million were iPhone 6s and 6s Plus models. The iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, and 6s Plus are the four iPhones that have larger 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens, and the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 appears to be the most popular model. CIRP's data was gathered in September, shortly after the iPhone 6s launch. iPhone 6s and 6s Plus numbers are likely much higher now.

[​IMG]
    CIRP's data suggests that while the larger-screened iPhones make up a large chunk of the iPhones in use in the United States, iPhone adoption is slowing as the U.S. market matures. For the past eight quarters, the iPhone installed base grew an estimated average of eight percent, but the installed base grew four percent in the September 2015 quarter and six percent in the September 2014 quarter. Growth numbers were as high as 17 percent in the December 2013 quarter following the launch of the iPhone 5s and 5c.

As the U.S. market becomes saturated with smartphone owners, Apple has increasingly focused its attention on luring customers from Android and other competing platforms. Apple has introduced a new "Move to iOS" Android app, an Android-switching microsite, and a trade-in program for Android users looking to switch to an iPhone.

Apple's efforts have been successful, and in October, Apple CEO Tim Cook said Apple saw the highest rate of Android switchers it had ever measured in the fourth quarter of 2015. 30 percent of customers who were upgrading from an existing smartphone to an iPhone were former Android users.

CIRP's numbers are extrapolated from a September 2015 survey of 500 U.S. Apple customers who purchased an Apple product in the preceding quarter. CIRP analyzes data on iPhone buyers, their new model selection, and their prior phones and compares that to iPhone sales data adjusted to the U.S. market.

Article Link: Over 100 Million iPhones Now in Use in U.S., Nearly Two-Thirds Are iPhone 6 or Later

2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

3. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Interesting to see 5C and 5S holding so strong.

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

That is an insane number of people! I recently switched from Android and couldn't be happier.

5. Qbnkelt macrumors 65816

Qbnkelt

One more coming in one week. My work issued SGS5 was giving me nothing but grief. So I'm chucking it into the bin and I'm getting an iPhone 6s instead.
    Happy camper.
    iPhone 6s Plus for personal. iPhone 6s for work.

6. Mike MA macrumors 68000

Mike MA

7. bdpx macrumors newbie

Well we've just hit 2 years since they've been out, so they should begin to decline now.

8. polterbyte macrumors 6502

polterbyte

Where did all those iPhone 5 go? I'd expect 4Ss and older to be out of commission, but not the 5.

9. hspace macrumors regular

hspace

I doubt the accuracy of this. I still see a lot of people with iPhone 4/4S around here in California.

10. Oblivious.Robot macrumors 6502a

Oblivious.Robot

11. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Those two phones came out September 2013... so those two-year contracts will be ending depending on when they were purchased.

A launch 5S or 5C could have already been upgraded by now... while a phone purchased in April 2014 will have to wait until April 2016.

And then there are some people who are holding on to the 4" form factor. :)

12. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

You should probably write them soon and let them know their research is wrong.

13. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Without me, it would have been 99,999,999. Apple should thank me. :D

14. entropys macrumors 6502

entropys

Agree. I see lots still. To test another way, how many iPhone 6s and 6s+ did Apple say it sold first weekend again? I seem to recall it was something like 10 million. The vast majority would have been to US customers, the biggest market.

15. MacSince1985 macrumors 6502

I don't think this is an accurate representation of the users, as their analysis focuses on sales data, without taking into account older devices still in use.

16. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Same here (eastern US). And the original iPhone 5 isn't rare either. I question how representative their sample is. EDIT: Or, as others have pointed out, "in use" may be an inaccurate term for the data they collected.

Plus, lots of older phones have been sold used—because they have resale value, which would only be true if they were actually sold again and used. (Spare part value would be limited—especially if it were true that those older phones aren't even being used anymore, and thus have no demand for being repaired.) Are almost ALL of these used devices ending up overseas?

17. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601

CmdrLaForge

With my iPhone 5 I am clearly in the minority.

18. jpgr15 macrumors 6502a

19. Michael Scrip, Nov 19, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2015

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

They are talking about iPhones in-use. And that definitely includes older devices.

Look at the chart... there's no way Apple sold 40 million iPhone 6 in September 2015 right before the 6S came out.

Instead... this chart shows the iPhones that are currently being used in the US... of which the year-old iPhone 6 and 6 Plus make up the most used.

If you're concerned about their data... I wouldn't worry about that.

They surveyed people and asked them which iPhone they purchased in the preceding quarter.

So it's safe to say that they're still using that phone 3-6-9 months later, etc.

If anything... there should actually be MORE iPhones in-use in the US since this data wouldn't show hand-me-down iPhones. The survey asked which phone you bought last quarter... but it didn't ask if you gave your old phone to a child to use, for instance.

20. hspace macrumors regular

hspace

Yep. I suspect almost all the 4/4S out there are re-sales or hand-me-downs. Some might even be used as iPods without cellular service. But the point remains - there are lots of them out there still.

21. hspace macrumors regular

hspace

Go to any high school (or jr. high school), and you'll see that a *significant* portion of the kids have a 5C. It made perfect sense recently as a kids first iPhone - that's why my daughter has been using too.

22. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I guess planned obsolescence worked then. :rolleyes:

23. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Yes, thank you Chinese labor force. Thank you for doing a job that nobody else can do anywhere near as effectively. And in the meantime making more money than you would have ever made working on a farm in the Chinese countryside.

And you win the prize for the first snarky post in the thread that was totally irrelevant to the article.

24. igorsky Suspended

Source of new research: A lot of people in California.