Over 25000 keychain certificates

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jca69, Nov 24, 2013.

1. jca69 macrumors newbie

Hi there,

After I upgraded my Mac Pro to Mavericks and Xcode 5.0.2, I can't test my apps on my iPhone, I'm getting code sign errors, or simply it doesn't bother to compile. Although it doesn't seem to be doing anything, whenever I press run, just asks me to stop the build (allegedly running).

When I compile on the same iPhone from Mac OSX 10.8 macbook (Xcode 5.0), everything is ok, so I was thinking of exporting the certificate I'm using there to the Mac Pro.

The problem is that Keychain on the Mac Pro takes forever to respond. I have deleted two expired certificates, which took me like 20-30 minutes, but I see there's 25596 Login/Certificates!! Thousands of com.apple.ubiquity.peer-uuid.... The macbook has only 9 items, does this make any sense? Why so many certificates?? I run the First Aid and it doesn't find any problem. Yet, it's slow as molasses in winter.

I have a similar issue with Mail, it takes forever to navigate between the accounts settings, but that's another story.

thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I know those are created when you get a new iOS device and sync it to iCloud. These entries tell OS X the iOS device is trusted and can locally sync over iCloud.

You should see a UUID something like B7E9DB5C-7263-4CA5-A12F-1FAF5B2142C5 after each certificate. UUIDs listed there for iOS devices you no longer own can be deleted. Make a backup of your keychain before you do this in case things go badly.

I'm wondering if your testing app in an iOS VM is creating all those entries?

3. jca69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply Weaselboy.

Problem here is that for each one I try to delete, it takes like 5 minutes! At this pace, it's gonna take 43 days to delete just half of those 25000+. And how do I know which ones are used?

It's weird because I haven't write any app that writes on the iCloud. How were all those certificates created?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can find the UUID for your iOS devices in iTunes. Just click the serial number field like in my screen shot and that will flip to the UUID. Then I guess the trick is to kill the certificates where the UUID does not match the UUID of any of your iOS devices. Looks like I have about 25 or so in my Keychain from old devices I no longer own.

Can't you command-click or shift-click to select multiple certs and delete groups of them at once?

I suppose you could just create a new, blank keychain and start over, but you would have to reenter any passwords saved.

[​IMG]

5. jca69 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think the best I can do now is to create a new keychain. I checked all devices' ids to compare to those in the keychain but I can't even do a search, as soon as I started typing, I get the rainbow wheel, it's been spinning for 8 minutes already, and still not responding... I give up, I just typed 3 letters!

And there's something I don't get, uids in iTunes are 40 hex long, those in keychain are 32.

thanks a lot!

6. jca69 thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it, created a new one and all problems gone. Also with Mail taking 5 minutes to save accounts preferences. :) Thank you!!

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Glad that worked out. Still it is odd it happened.