Over 400 GB lost: disk utility is no help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by NeeLonMac, Aug 12, 2012.

1. NeeLonMac macrumors newbie

I thought it's nice weekend to clean up my iMac G5.
    So yesterday I backed up all my data on an external hard disk. Today I wanted to clean up my computer and make extra partitions.
    All went well, I had a partition of a few GB's for my mounted installation disk of OS X Leopard.
    My second partition of a few GB's to install Leopard to.
    The rest (over 400 GB) turned in the third partition for my data.
    Then I saw there was 1.3 GB left, unused.
    That's not what I wanted, so I tried to put those in the third partition of over 400 GB. Something went wrong and now I have 1.3 GB free space besides my first two partitions, and it can't find 400 GB of my HD.

What can I do to fix this?

Also the HD is only 2 years old.

2. simsaladimbamba

Can you repartition the HDD? Can you make a screenshot of Disk Utility and its Partition Tab and attach it to your next post?

3. NeeLonMac, Aug 12, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

NeeLonMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Not at the moment, I figured updating everything to 10.5.8 might be a good idea. So it's busy for a while (now on phone).
    The 1,3 GB can't be formatted, or it must takes hours to be formatted.

4. NeeLonMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Fixed!
    After the reboot of the updates, the 1,3 GB of free space suddenly was 413 GB.

I did earlier a sudo rm on a cache. I got that line from another forum about a similar problem. They said the free space was made into an invisible document somewhere and clearing that cache would fix the problem after reboot.
    But I didn't find it back after reboot.

After updating from 10.5 to 10.5.8 and another reboot it was there again, so I did something good I guess. Maybe a newer version of Disk Utility?

Much thanks for the willing of helping anyway!