Over 6 hours battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Noerdy, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Noerdy macrumors member

Noerdy

So with consumer reports abysmal tests, and all the bias on the forums, has anyone else not been able to get over 6 hours of battery life? I did a test, I brought my brightness to 25%, closed all my programs except itunes to play music (at low volume), restarted to clear everything up, and went about my day. After 5 hours, the computer was at 10%. I did everything apple suggested, did all their diagnostics, and I am still only getting on average 3 hours of battery life. Is there any chance that my batteries are flawed somehow?

2. Turpentine222 macrumors newbie

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

4. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Ya, even before the Consumer Reports re-test (following Apple's bug-fix), I was getting significantly above 5-6hrs. Almost double that, actually (10-11). I've recently installed the 10.12.3 beta4 update, and am seeing even better (11+ hrs).

Are you running Chrome, perchance? Or other 3rd party substitutes for standard Apple software?

5. Noerdy thread starter macrumors member

Noerdy

Running safari, but I keep it closed most of the time because I dont want it to take up battery.

6. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

mine usually seems to get the promised 10 hours, though i havent run it down to 0 yet. it's generally about an hour per 10% on the battery thing, and I run Adobe CC programs a lot

7. leman, Jan 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017

leman macrumors G3

@OP: can you try it without playing music? I wouldnt be surprised if the speaker draws a lot of power. Also, are there any processes in activity monitor with abnormal energy usage?

Same here - around 10% per hour of real work, some of which is very computer-intensive.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

After running on battery for a couple hours or so, check this section in Activity Monitor to see what is using the most battery power.

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 8.14.49 AM.png

9. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Whaaat ? You are getting 10 hours of battery from the new 2016 rMBP ?? which is the one that you have 13" or 15" ?? There is no one rarely anyone who gets 10 hours of battery out of the 2016 rMBP especially the 15"

10. leman macrumors G3

There are plenty of people here who report getting very good battery out of the 2016 machines... I am easily getting 9+ hours of my 15" 2016 during a real working day, so it will certainly do 10 or more hours under light usage.

11. augustya macrumors 68020

augustya

Then what about people who just report 3 hours of battery out of their 15" 2016 rMBP which even I have seen in the Store.

12. jackoatmon macrumors 6502a

jackoatmon

The phenomenon is called confirmation bias.

The people posting are a self-selecting group, far more likely to be aggrieved parties. And the people looking for flaws in the machine are actively seeking negative reviews that confirm their worst fears.

The least likely group to post is those who are satisfied and getting optimal performance.

I have the 15" 2016. And the battery is totally fine. I never would have even thought about it if it weren't for the reviews on this particular forum.

13. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I got over 11 hours in my own 15" test, and professional tests of the 15" find it meets or exceeds Apple's claims. If you rely on places that aggregate complaints, you may get the wrong impression.

14. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Seems like anecdotal evidence is all over the range.
    Which is pretty normal for battery-operated devices.

That will also allow for "I saw it on the 'net, so it must be true"

For each person, the _real_ information is what _you_ get for battery life, not some random user that you meet, or even some random "% remaining" that you see in a Store. Both are as relevant as you make them, or not at all.

15. Iceteamm macrumors newbie

I get 8+ hrs on my 15 inch, moderate intensity. Very satisfied!

16. leman macrumors G3

BTW, here is a current screenshot of my Activity Monitor. I am sceptical about the estimates but its true that I've been running off the battery for around 2 hours and it only dropped 12%... I haven't been doing any real work though. Just writing on some papers/tech notes. Also, I didn't do it for 2 hours straight, I had numerous breaks getting tea and calling some people on a phone, during which the laptop was just left alone. It didn't sleep though.

CoconutBattery shows energy consumption of between 5 and 10 Watt

[​IMG]

17. poorcody macrumors 6502a

poorcody

I also routinely get 8-12 hours on my new 15" depending on what I'm doing. Actually I've gotten that on the original and a replacement one.

18. thesaint024 macrumors 65816

thesaint024

Lots of people are getting around 10 hours. Read the Battery thread and you'll see lots of people complaining about bad battery life, then lots of people solving their issues by troubleshooting or updates (also giving up and returning). The 10 hours is backed up by professional tests. In fact, it's getting harder to troubleshoot because most people's battery issues are getting "fixed" one way or another.

In a way, this is a bad thing for OP since updates didn't fix his issues. This will require troubleshooting to figure out the drain. If you put in the effort, you'll likely figure out the cause. Or you can choose to return it for not meeting your needs out of the box. It's possible he has a hardware issue, but given all of the troubleshooting that has been done, I don't really recall a case where it was confirmed to be hardware. It's always some program draining battery unnecessarily. iTunes is not a sure thing for battery life BTW. Only one way to check is what people have been suggesting and tracking your power draw.

19. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

20. iasix macrumors member

Lol, guys. I had 3 13" TB because I thought it was a faulty unit, but it's just the machine.

10% smaller battery capacity compared to the nTB + TB that uses (some) battery + 28W processor instead of the nTB's 15 OBVIOUSLY results in a battery life < 10 hours, which is what I get with the TB.

Yes, this is usage dependent. I get 11+ on my nTB on average (actually measured - so no estimate - and using it at work).
    Apple dropped the ball on the TB version.

21. dyn macrumors 68030

And yet nobody seems to think about the exact opposite: the TB version having the correct battery life and the non-TB version having the incorrect battery life. Or differently put: the non-TB exceeds the 10 hr battery life.

They are also forgetting the fact that if you want to measure battery life properly, you need to do what Consumer Reports does: comprise a test and run it over and over again, then average the data.

22. cameroncitro macrumors newbie

I have the 13' tbMP. I received my order on Nov.23 and used it for one day and found that I got 3ish hours of battery life. Called Apple Support they replaced my MacBook Pro had a new one on the 29th. Got 9ish hours and with the recents updates been getting 11-12.