Over average data usage? Get a replacement, my Apple Genius story.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by adcx64, Sep 29, 2012.

1. adcx64 macrumors 65816

adcx64

Hey guys,

Just thought i'd share my story with you guys. My iPhone 5 I got on launch day was really burning through my data package, despite being on WiFi. I took it to my local Apple store, and they hesitantly replaced it. I had to fight for a few minutes to sway the "genius" from thinking my iPhone wasn't defective. I ended up getting a new iPhone, and an Otterbox Commuter case. Couldn't be happier. The new iPhone uses about the same data as the 4S, and not burning 300MB every three days. I am also getting fairly faster WiFi speeds, 15Mbps as opposed to 6 on the old device. It is a newer (i guess) ND097LL/A Model with the same exact serial number. My advice to you guys is if your iPhone is having the same issues that were in a few of these threads, take it back, and get a replacement.

Just wanted to share my experience with you guys!

2. armoredsaint macrumors regular

armoredsaint

but what was the underlining issue that caused it to suck up so much data? sure you got a new fresh phone, but will it happen again once you download all the apps you had originally? just wondering?

3. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Seems everything is in spec now. Even Verizon told me that my old iPhone was really above average and almost abnormal. The new one seems to be working fine, and I have the same few apps.

4. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Were you using it more heavily in the first few days then you are now? I've easily burned 2 GB's so far in just over a week due to how much I'm using it.

5. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

This is my first iPhone, so I'm using it the same as when I first got it. It seems oddly enough there actually was something wrong with the other phone.

6. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

my 2nd replacement phone had the data problems but so far the 3rd one is working like a champ and scratch and scuffgate free:)

7. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Same here. Beautiful condition and I can rest easy with my otterbox!

8. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

What model and color otterbox did you get ?

9. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

I'm sure you all are aware this is not a hardware issue.. So replacing phones isn't doing anything much except for a new install of the OS which can be done with a restore/reinstall.

10. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Multiple restores did not fix.

Commuter, all black.

11. Marco123 macrumors 6502a

I agree but they've changed something considering the model number now starts with ND instead of MD.

12. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

There has been a few threads about this too, I think the difference is just the bulk packs the stores receive as opposed to preorder stock, or it could indicate the phone has been replaced before.

13. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Mine starts with MD and mine has zero issues.

Not sayin they all shouldn't.. But just throwing that out there.

14. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

It doesn't seem as though issues were tied to just one string of serial numbers.

15. dchao macrumors 6502a

Exact same serial number :confused:

Are you saying you got the same defective unit back? You do realize all serial numbers are unique, and they don't repeat , ever! :rolleyes:

16. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

I was thinking the same! The new phone matches the label printed on the originals box, only with a different ND number! Maybe this is why Apple didnt print the serial number on the back.

17. reputationZed macrumors 65816

I'm still not following are you saying that, if for the sake of argument, the SN of your original phone was MD367267 the SN on the new phone is ND367267.

----------

My understanding is that Apple uses different series of SN's, in this case MDXXXXX vs NDXXXXXX to differentiate between phones sold as new and phones used for warranty replacement

18. adcx64 thread starter macrumors 65816

adcx64

Exactly, my new iPhone serial matches the old iPhone serial.

19. rworne, Sep 29, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2012

rworne macrumors 6502

Mine's an MD. Look at this usage. I can say this was done with primarily email and web browsing. No Youtube access or other streaming data aside from some Spotify for 1 hr a workday during commute.

The phone spends nearly all its time on my WiFi network (like it is now). I am a long-time iPad user that averages approx 1.2GB per month. I've had the phone for exactly one week.

The second picture shows what Verizon claims I am using. The numbers the phone is reporting are total bullcrap.

Attached Files:

20. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Did you not read the original post? He said he was burning through data despite being on wifi; that's obviously problematic.

21. NM08SRT8 macrumors 6502a

NM08SRT8

Here is mine.

Attached Files:

22. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Yes, I did. I'm on Wi-Fi most of the day and I've burned 2 GB's already. Some don't realize how much they're using their new devices when out and about. Could there be a problem? Sure, anything's possible.

23. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

He was on WiFi but it was still using his cellular data.

24. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

No one really knows for sure if cellular data was being used while on Wi-Fi. The OP just knows his cellular data was much higher before and now after a replacement, it's back to normal. Like I said in a previous post, there could have been an issue with the device. I'm not doubting the OP in any way. I was just curious if the OP was using the device more than normal due to it being a new device.

25. ITS ME DAVID macrumors 6502

I had a friend call me about this same thing on his 4s. He was on wifi all day but it was using his cellular data instead of wifi.