Over-clock a mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rabidz7, Dec 16, 2012.

1. rabidz7 macrumors 65816

rabidz7

Does anyone know how I can over-clock my late 2011 macbook pro?

2. redshovel macrumors 6502

redshovel

Not got a clue..... But I know if u can the problems caused will far outweigh any benefits. Same a remapping a car engine - u might get a few more BHP but the gear box will give in 50k miles sooner.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

You can't, period. The machine is not capable of handling the extra heat overclocking would produce.

4. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

3820qm chips have locked multiplier, and cpu bus speed is probably set by the firmware, and retina macbook pro heatsink probably couldn't dissipate the cpu heat output fast enough to keep the system cool. so it will probably very chellenging to do.

oh, there are laptop water cooling solutions, but you still have the efi firmware and the locked multiplier to deal with.

not very easy to do, but not impossible.

5. AppleMacFinder, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK, no way to do this with software and there is no BIOS you can change either, so I'm guessing it's not possible.

Our good friend google would probably tell you more, but I question your motives. Increasing clock speeds is so late 1990's. Now the frequency really doesn't mean much with today's processors.

7. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

A 100 mhz graphics or front side bus over-clock wouldn't hurt anything. Also I do not know any efi commands.

8. AppleMacFinder, Dec 17, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2012

AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Most of relatively new Intel processors, which are not aimed at overclocking,
    could still be overclocked - but with limitations.

Desktop CPU example:
    while i5-2500 (non K) is clearly not for overclocking, the CPU Multiplier can
    be increased by 4 bins, increasing the frequency from 3.3 GHz to 3.7 GHz.

Similar story with mobile CPUs. Basically, if you look on this problem closer, you could see that
    all this is essentially the same as forcing your CPU to go into Turbo mode and stay there.

By doing that, you are not forcing the CPU to work in some custom mode - which is not approved by Intel;
    instead, you are forcing it to go into Turbo mode and stay in Turbo mode - which IS approved by Intel.

So, that is not exactly overclocking. But result is the same - your computer runs faster!

EDIT: The only problem is, how to get it working?
    You are probably right: by discovering a set of awesome EFI commands which allow to do that.

I could also think of some other ways, but they are much more complex.

9. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

What other ways?:confused:

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Best way to speed up a Mac is to sell it and buy a newer / faster Mac.

11. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

GPUs can easily be over clocked in Windows bootcamp and afaik there are even ways to do it in OSX. GPUs also can easily handle higher clocks and since the CPU is the hotter part anyway they rarely reach critical temps.

CPUs however on the mobile side are impossible to over clock. There is just no freedom whatsoever given by Intel. Intel only allows under clocking of sorts via custom TDP bins. Also in thermals they run so high on the max that any increase in general TDP is just on in the picture. There is no thermal head room. Turbo as it is will grab as much speed as it can within the TDP (45W) but no more.
    There exists no front side bus and the multipliers cannot be changed (upwards). Turbo and TDP thermals override anything else with the mobile chips so I doubt there is any way you can force it to run max turbo when the load doesn't permit it.
    CPU overclocking doesn't do any good anyway. Even if you added 10% what difference does that really make. Faster GPUs at least help in Games. CPUs aren't needed or make little difference.

12. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

Can someone explain to me the fascination with "over-clocking"?

13. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Take your watch and place it on top of the notebook...
    Voila, your notebook is now "over-clocked". :rolleyes:

Seriously now, why would you even bother?
    You'll most likely just damage it senselessly...

14. avflinsch macrumors member

overclocking?

If you put your watch on top of your computer, the computer is underclocked, to overclock, you need to put your computer on top of the watch. :)

15. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Hmm, you know what? You might be right... :cool:
    Let's just now hope he doesn't have a cheap watch that will get squashed.

16. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

Find a way to hack the EFI and increase the clocks.

17. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

I already hacked EFI I just don't know any commands. What are some software overclocks?

----------

Over clocking is the pushing of a clock higher to increase performance. For example: A 500 Mhz graphics clock to a 2000 Mhz clock.

----------

I already have the fastest laptop apple makes.

18. leman macrumors 604

I am not aware of any software over-clocking tools for Mac. I think your best bet is to try playing with the DSDT/SSDT tables and try changing P/C-States of the CPU. My knowledge about DSDT is not nearly deep enough to offer you some concrete hints though. I suggest you ask on some Hackintosh forums, there you will definitely find some people knowledgeable in this area.

19. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Just throw some Rolex under your Mac and you'll have the most expensive overclocked Mac:cool:

Enough with the joke, even if you were able to, not recommended.
    Your Mac wont be able to handle all the heat and stress.

20. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Ehm, Rolex is too common and cheap... He should try some top of the line Patek Philippe watches instead ( or even better, he can order one to be custom made just for him - diamonds, gold, Apple logo, etc. etc. ).

21. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

You hacked the EFI? Please tell us how, so we could participate in your search for commands.

22. rabidz7 thread starter macrumors 65816

rabidz7

http://refit.sourceforge.net

23. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Same as souping up a Civic with a turbo charger. At least in a car, I can add additional cooling element, notebook, oy.