Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

squeeks

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2007
Florida
it runs too hot to overclock

a normal core 2 duo cpu runs about 30c idle 44c under full load, and as you know the macbooks run a lot hotter than that, so dont even try

JNB

macrumors 604
You really won't gain any measurable improvement in the vast majority of apps, and has been mentioned, will ultimately cook the CPU. Not only that, but it's a total warranty buster (if you're still under warranty). If it's the sole or primary machine, I wouldn't even consider doing it.

With the speeds of CPU's/GPU's these days, the notion of & perceived need for overclocking is really a thing of the past, more for bragging rights & "geek cred" than any real performance improvement.

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
They have a hard enough time not going critical-mass as it is. Don't do it unless you want a meltdown.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
They have a hard enough time not going critical-mass as it is. Don't do it unless you want a meltdown.

well oviously i want a melt down not but how big of a hd does the 1st macbook read up to
i know ram is 2gb any idea on the hdd

JNB

macrumors 604
i dont think its 320gb cvause somone put in a 250 and it didnt read it all

The installation was faulty, then, either from a connection or formatting perspective. There's a lot of folks putting 320GB drives in their MacBooks, but it may be dependent also on which series you've got. I know that all the Core2Duo MB's support them, prior to that, I'm not positive.

TheStu

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2006
Carlisle, PA
like i said im not i just wanna know the max hd size on the first low end macbook !

It is conceivable that you could put one of those new Samsung 500GB drives in there, if you can read french and don't mind dropping 200 Euros plus shipping on it.

I have never heard of any actual hard drive size limit on the MacBooks, regardless of model (Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, Santa Rosa, or Penryn)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.