Over clocking MBP 17" Gfx card correctly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RestlessDeviant, Mar 11, 2009.

1. RestlessDeviant macrumors newbie

I dont know what the best benchmark test is but i have been using 3Dmark06 on Windows 7 using bootcamp.

My MBP is 2.93 4G Ram and just changing the Res 1920x1200 for running the 3dmark benchmark & it scores 3950. I then read about the gfx cards being underclocked and checked the numbers that this was the case....

The numbers are:

Core Clock: 393 MHz
    Shader Clock: 786 MHz
    Memory Clock: 700 MHz x2

Instead Of:

Core Clock: 500 MHz
    Shader Clock: 1250 MHz
    Memory Clock: 792 MHz x2

So i used Riva Tuner and clocked it up close to the stock settings, checked that the system info WAS changed, and ran the benchmark again and it scored the same.

Anyone any idea why????

Does any one have any comparision scores??

2. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Maybe its due to the fact the RivaTuner says mobile solutions are not supported. Try nVidia System Tools instead.

3. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Hahaha you've overclocked a 9600 in a new Unibody 17" and your doing it in Windows through Bootcamp, even worse hahaha oh man good luck! i give you 5 days before you get the green lines of death.

I hope you've got both your fans running at full speed in Windows. :D

4. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

My MBP 17" runs at 500MHz/790MHz/1250MHz when I start Graphical applications. The clock speed you mentioned are mid-range speed. Therefore, until you start up 3DMark, it'll stay at that speed to conserve battery life.

It is verified via GPU-Z.

5. simonpickard macrumors regular

Are you finding the MBP stable at those speeds? I'd be very interested to hear from people who are overclocking back to stock speeds.
    Wonder how much more head is produced?

Regards,
    Simon

6. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

I don't think he's overclocking. The graphics run a lower clocks while they aren't being used intensively and speed up to full speed when being used (like gaming, rendering etc.). Kinda like Intel SpeedStep but for graphics.

7. simonpickard macrumors regular

Arhh ok..

So the MBP does clock up to the correct speeds when it needs to?

I thought it was underclocked the whole time?

Regards,
    Simon

8. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Its makes sense that it underclocks itself to preserve battery life. But having it underclocked the whole time would be a bad decision by Apple.

9. L0s7man macrumors 6502

That would be worth checking. But doesn't apple underclock the GPUs to get rid of heat issues? Is MBP prepared to run full spead for extended period of time?

10. simonpickard macrumors regular

Is there any way to test this?
    If it gets to full speed when under load?

Regards,
    Simon

11. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I'm not overclocking whatsoever.

To check, I use "GPU-Z" (search on google) and log it to a txt file. Then, I open up something such as Call of Duty: World At War and play for about 5 minutes. After I exit, I can see in the log that my video card speed is stock and what my temperature is.

Apple unclock the 15" models, according to what I've heard. I have the 17" model and it seems that Apple doesn't unclock it.

12. RestlessDeviant thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i just did the same test with a game and got the same results that the GFX card speeds up to the factory settings. That is great news.

Thanks very much for that..... :)

I wonder why the Nvidia control panel system information figures is so out....

Core Clock: 393
    Shader Clock 786
    Memory Clock 700

That is waaaay off.

13. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Ironically I find that ATITool does a better job on finding out clock speeds.

[​IMG]

Clock speeds on my 8600M GT. Seems way clearer and more accurate to me.

I have a "faulty" 8600M GT that has been overclocked to 600/900 (overclocked from 470/635) for over 500 hours in a period of over 11 months, and it still runs fine.

14. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Can someone with a 15'' Models with 9600m gt w/256mb or 512mb confirm this? If it's real on these models too I will be really pleased.