Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Hi. Is your iphone 13 pro heating up when using the camera? I recorded a 1 minute 4k 60p and the back of the phone was hot. I didn’t try for longer because i dont want to over heat it. Is this normal? I’m on 15.1.1

EddieKeyton1

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
Hi. Is your iphone 13 pro heating up when using the camera? I recorded a 1 minute 4k 60p and the back of the phone was hot. I didn’t try for longer because i dont want to over heat it. Is this normal? I’m on 15.1.1

I had the 13 regular. It heated up just playing simple games. I now have the 13pm and it gets hot to the point of being uncomfortable when playing games. I’m not sure what’s going on but the heat is always up on the upper left side below the camera module. Most likely that’s where the processor is housed is my guess. You aren’t the only one with heating problems. But yours seems a bit worse than mine. With only using the camera. Are you on a beta version or a public release?

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Hi Eddie. Thank you for the feedback. I am using the public version. I just did a 3 min video in 1080p and is just getting warm….so maybe this happens because of 4k? Too much processing for the CPU?
The only game i play is Golf Rivals and is fine in games. Just getting warm and i think is normal for 15-20 minutes of playing.

Fatus_Asticus

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2021
I don’t have any heat issues playing games out with the camera. I usually only shoot in cinematic and for a few minutes at a time. Games I don’t notice any abnormal heat either. Warm, not uncomfortable, after long session of 30 minutes or so.

macsareveryinteresting

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2020
Colorado Springs
There might be an issue with the CPU. The first thing I would say to do is make sure the CPU is running okay. Is it just the camera app that is having the issue? If it does not stop or it gets worse, take it into Apple and see what the issue is. Or you could manually open up the phone and see what is happening. Hopefully this helped.

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I dont have an Apple store close to me. Not in my country. I live in a 3rd world country ?
I guess the cpu is running ok. The phone stays cool for hours. Is just the camera that heats it up. So after 3-4 minutes of full HD recording your 13 pro ‘s temperature doesn't increase at all? Stays cool? If so, after how much time does get at least warm?

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
4k60HDR?

If so expect that thing to get HOT. Higher end DSLR's have to use a workflow work around overheating issue.

The iPhone is capturing 4k60 10b, transcoding into HEVC and dealing with the color grading for Dolby Vision metadata......in a passively cooled device....

The vast majority of people don't have a desktop computer that could handle everything the iPhone is doing all at once. Cool stuff. But ya I would limit my usage and integrate breaks into the recording...

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
4k60HDR?

If so expect that thing to get HOT. Higher end DSLR's have to use a workflow work around overheating issue.

The iPhone is capturing 4k60 10b, transcoding into HEVC and dealing with the color grading for Dolby Vision metadata......in a passively cooled device....

The vast majority of people don't have a desktop computer that could handle everything the iPhone is doing all at once. Cool stuff. But ya I would limit my usage and integrate breaks into the recording...
Thanks for the reply. Great info. I had no idea that it was recording 10bit. My a7iii can only record 8 bit lol.
Is the iphone recording in 10 bit on all settings (resolution and fps)? Or is 10 bit limited to 4k 60?

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
I doubt that i recorded 10 bit video. Based on the info i found online, there is no 10 bit video, unless i check the HDR option. Maybe the PROres, which I didn’t use
04B7C538-7382-44C9-9A50-72BF046B4C4C.jpeg

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
4 minutes of camera app equals 27% used battery. While youtube is getting 1h40m with 21%
E5BB1322-EA7B-49AE-A84D-F3A55626A38C.png
447BAAF1-9F8F-4358-8129-8329DFB3F9F4.png

ph.rei

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 23, 2021
Can anyone tell me with what percentage is the battery dropping after a 10 minute video recording in FullHD 60fps? Apple support tried to diagnose my 13pro, and they found nothing wrong with the hardware components. I am wondering how are other 13 pro samples behaving in video recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.