Over Observations

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by callmemike20, Nov 17, 2010.

1. callmemike20, Nov 17, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2010

callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Does anyone every observe things in too much detail? I tend to do this all the time. Examples:

1) Look at a company logo such as Coca-Cola and start questioning some of the curves and positions of objects. Eventually, I just think the logo looks weird.

2) I tend to observe people, but not intentionally. While watching a movie or at an event, I may start watching some random person in the crowd (even if they aren't disturbing).

3) After observation, I notice that many products are dirty and are not fully optimized to meet design and/or financial potential. For instance, take a Xbox controller. Everyone else would simply use it for its implied purpose and think nothing else of it. However, I always seem to examine products and find very disturbing defects. For instance, the gap between the top and bottom part of the controller vary greatly around the edges and makes the product feel cheap. Also, the battery packs never seem to fit perfectly into place.

I don't know why I do this, but I am always observing things beyond their intentional use.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

This is decently odd, I was just talking to my friend about this exactly yesterday.

I do nearly the same thing. Examples:

1) I'll look at a street lamp and the shadow it is casting and try to figure out all the angles' degrees.

There are a million other examples, but you covered most of the ones I do in excess.

3. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

Well, at least I'm not the only one. Most of the time, I'm just thinking about how a product and its changes (new box, etc.) affects the financial performance of a business.

4. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Sometimes if I stare at a word long enough, it looks funny and weird to me. I end up saying, "that's really how it's spelled??"

5. Firestar, Nov 18, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2010

Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I also do this. Example:

Definitely
    Yah, I do too. I was at Sam's Clubs last week, and the I saw their milk gallons were shaped in probably the most rectangular shape they could probably be. I had to think about why it was like this.....

(I concluded they would be able to package more. If you were wondering.)

6. callmemike20 thread starter macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

WalMart/Sam's Club are the best places to make these product packaging observations due to their control over their suppliers. Every difference I see in packaging, I wonder why its like that.

7. No ice please macrumors 6502

Story of my life bro.

Like some handles on fishing rods or bikes. The finger spaces are to far or too close together. Thus making it weird to hold.

8. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

I'm guessing restaurants use it so it is easier to stack side by side.
    I am like this but more of how it is said. If I say it for 30 seconds it sounds weird.

9. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Right there with you. I over think wayyyy too many simple things, things that 99% of the population wouldn't even think twice about.