Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007
Then I guess the iphone as an enterprise device is not going to be a viable option because there is no way a corp is going to have thousands and thousands of iphones that are locked to itunes to get an update.

So an organization that has thousands and thousands of Blackberry's (like the one I work for) that need to be connected to flash an update differs how?

biggerboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2009
The fact is that they now its possible with BB. That is real. Does not make a difference what used to be. There used to be no iphone. Your living in the past and trying to validate the future. I thought the Apple mantra was "Think different" but apparently you can only think what Apple tells you to think.

And what you bet on about what IT departments will do is irrelevant. Don't get your **** in a bunch because I point out what is possible now with one device and not allowed or permitted or whatever with the iphone.

You said that OTA firmware updates are "required" to be considered enterprise-worthy. As someone who is a long-time user of Blackberries, Palm OS devices and now the iPhone for more than a decade in an enterprise environment one way or the other, my experience says that you don't know what you're talking about.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
Let's face it. The technology, software, and brains are there to do OTA updates. Apple simply wants to push its iTunes marketing at you every chance it gets.

A lot of us with iphones never had an ipod, never wanted one, and never wanted iTunes. Apple wants to sell it's music, videos, and whatever else.

ViViDboarder

macrumors 68040
Jun 25, 2008
USA
You guys seriously act like this is some kind of crazy new technology that people are asking for. It's been done by plenty of other companies (eg Palm does it in WebOS). If the battery is low, refuse to install the update until it's charged about X%. If the user's on a call, refuse to install the update. Warn them when they start that the update will take XX minutes, and if they have an emergency in the middle of that then they're just SOL.

The one and only reason that the iPhone doesn't do OTA OS updates is that Apple hasn't chosen to implement it. I personally don't care one way or the other, but I think they'd be doing themselves a favor to go the OTA route. Would save theirs and AT&T's support people a lot of time dealing with the types that haven't connected their phone to iTunes in 2 years.

Props for quoting the wrong person! I wasn't arguing AGAINST it being possible. Someone said that Jailbreakers would be screwed because they'd be forced to update and I was explaining that's not the way it works. Something generally comes up that asks you to finish the update on most devices and this would certainly be required for Apple to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.