Over-the-Air vs iTunes update - which one are you doing?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Hustler1337, Sep 17, 2014.

?

How are you updating?

1. iTunes

50 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. OTA

58 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. Hustler1337, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014

Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

As per the title, which update method are you going through to update your iDevice - OTA or iTunes?

I'm personally going through OTA as generally it's a lot faster than through iTunes.

EDIT: Lol, 5.7GB? Scrap that, i'm doing it over iTunes (if it will connect):(

2. EmilyB613 macrumors member

EmilyB613

I have class at 1 PM EDT, but I'll probably wait 30 minutes before I go and download onto my iPad. I'll hold off on my iPhone until I get back from class. I figured I can take lecture notes "the old-fashioned way" until my iPad finishes updating. :)

I understand Apple's decision to withhold SMS Relay, but I do wish they had withheld iCloud Drive. I am still on Mavericks, so I don't want to not be able to work on my schoolwork. I'm not complaining, just stating my opinion. I do know that I can bypass that for now, but I already had a bad experience with the public beta of Yosemite (long story short, I accidentally clicked on iCloud Drive instead of Documents & Data. My mistake!). Just afraid that I'll make the same mistake.

Why am I worrying? Goodness, I'm such a worry-wart. :confused:

3. Hustler1337 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

4. CasuallyDressed macrumors 6502

CasuallyDressed

iTunes here, but only because I'm at home. If I was at work then it'd be OTA.

Legit question though: Given the option of both, which is actually faster?

5. Glassed Silver macrumors 68020

Glassed Silver

iTunes, always seems the cleanest to me.

As it was the recommended way for least potential of troubles, I'll stick to that.
    The phone's sitting on my desk anyways.

Glassed Silver:mac

6. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

7. WRXHatch macrumors newbie

I don't think I've ever been on a forum where i've seen so many repeat threads.

8. geeshiet macrumors member

Can anyone explain what the difference is installing the update via OTA and iTunes...

9. pauliaK macrumors regular

pauliaK

Over iTunes, because that's the way I do major updates, I always do a fresh install for all major iOS releases which is not an option while upgrading OTA. OTA for all the 8.x.x updates to follow.

10. TreeDude macrumors newbie

WiFi at my work is capped at 128Kb/s. I will be doing a fresh install on iTunes.

11. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

Not enough room on my iPhone to do OTA (even with removing music and photos) and I really don't want to remove apps, so iTunes it is (whenever it propagates to iTunes, that is... showing up on OTA but not iTunes yet for me)...

12. Tbone999 macrumors member

I would prefer to do it on iTunes (clean install and faster download), but it's only available OTA right now (art least for me), so I'm doing OTA. It's about a ten minute download.

Update: Looks like I'm going to have to do it on iTunes -- my OTA downloaded 75% of the way and then frappe rout, giving me an error. (And I have over 7 gb free on my phone, so memory should not be the problem.) And now it's saying that downloading will take an hour. :)

13. stevedusa macrumors regular

14. Lindsford macrumors 6502a

I've been trying OTA on home wifi (50mbps-ish) and it's been sitting for a long while :(

15. SCOLANATOR macrumors 6502a

SCOLANATOR

Doing it on iTunes due to lack of space on iPhone but it says it's going to take 7 hours! I'm on a 152Mb connection here!

16. koerk macrumors regular

koerk

Is it possible to save my wifi passwords when I'm doing a clean install? Data and apps are not a problem to reinstall but I don't want it to forget all wifi connections.

17. Hustler1337 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Finally downloading after 50 mins of trying, and it's downloading FAST :D

[​IMG]

18. dukee101 macrumors member

dukee101

Just updated both my iPhone 5s and iPad mini Retina to iOS 8 through iTunes/USB.

Each update took 2-3 minutes to download and another 4-6 minutes to install. All told, I updated both in under 20 minutes.

This is on release day (Sept. 17), at 2pm EST, over my university's 1 Gbps connection (which my iMac is connected to via ethernet).

This has been hands-down the smoothest iOS update process I've ever gone through.

I'll do future 8.x.x delta updates OTA.

19. Arndroid macrumors 6502a

Arndroid

My iPad Air told me I need almost 7 gigs free to do OTA. That makes ota impossible for me.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

No choice. OTA says 6 hours.
    iTunes says 15 minutes.
    Same WiFi.

21. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I'm doing it over iTunes. 4.7GB free space?!?!? Seriously apple? Do you think I have that much space available on my 5c? No thank you OTA. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410978391.853234.jpg

22. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

OTA was going really fast but now I've been sitting on "Preparing Update" what seems like forever! It downloaded really fast but I am on my work WiFi and it's not capped so it was quick. If you have to have 4.7 GB free like someone said for the iPad, not sure how I'll be able to do my iPad because it is only a 16 GB device and it's almost full. I did delete a bunch of apps I don't use last night and did a backup so we'll see. Hoping this OTA on my phone finishes soon! Of course, I'll only have it hopefully for two days if all goes as planned on Friday! :D

23. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

iTunes all the way.

With Apple's servers getting slammed, I'd rather just let iTunes take its time with the iOS download, and make the update after I have the full installation file ready to go. The update goes faster when connected to iTunes (I also do a factory reset and restore from backup when making a major iOS update), and I don't have to worry about not having enough free space to proceed.

24. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

25. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Not a problem if you restore from a backup after doing the clean install. At least that's how it works when using a local backup with iTunes. Not sure if that's the case using iCloud.