"over the ear" headphones for iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jbellny, Oct 28, 2007.

1. jbellny macrumors newbie

Okay, I know there are millions of in-ear headphone fans, but I truly cannot stand the experience. With that said, has anyone find or can someone recommend an iPhone compatible set of 'over the ear' headphones?

The mic/play-pause control I'm not that married to, so it doesn't necessarily have to have that. However, I don't want to have to exacto knife the damn jack to get it to fit in the recessed port!

Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

2. boss1 macrumors 6502a

boss1

After owning many pairs of headphones, in ear, on ear, around the ear, as well as owning the 2 pairs below, I recommend either of the below by Bose. You will however need to break out the xacto knife :p or just buy an adaptor for like 10 bucks? or so.

I really don't recommend getting an adaptor that may not work as intended for $10 . don't be afraid of the xacto knife, it works wonders in about 60 seconds.

Bose On Ear Headphones $180

Bose Around the Ear Headphones $130

3. carman63 macrumors regular

Headphones are subjective. I have an older pair of Kenwoods I love. The cord's very long, however. The Bose around-the-ear phones (http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_PRODUCT_PAGE_EVENT&product=triport_ae_headphones_index) sounded pretty good to me. But there are plenty of decent phones for 1/2 that price (again, this is subjective). Go to an electronics store and try some out. Take your favorite music with you when you compare. That way you already know what it 'should' sound like, to you. Don't let brand names or price play too much of a factor (upper limits of cost notwithstanding). Just find something that's comfortable for you, and sounds good TO YOU.

For the jack problem, buy an adapter. That's the easiest solution for that problem, and you're not tied to specific brands/styles of headphones.

4. M3Racer macrumors newbie

M3Racer

5. M3Racer macrumors newbie

M3Racer

Yeah! I think getting the adaptor is a MUST!

6. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

I, too, prefer over the ear, and a behind the neck. My solution:

Motorola HT820 Bluetooth Stereo Headset
    http://direct.motorola.com/ens/BTStereoHS_Web_ProductHome.asp

I was lucky enough to get a couple for $20 on clearance at BestBuy (and they took my 10% off coupon, too). Normally $90! You can find them on ebay for $30 or so.

What's great about this is it is a wired music headset (the wire is detachable, and does require an xacto knife cut to fit in the iPhone, but at least it's not part of the headset, if you're paranoid, like I am). Then, you get stereo music. But when a call comes in, the Bluetooth kicks in and you hear the call through stereo speakers and can speak into the hidden microphone. When the call ends, you're back to music, thanks to the iPhone/iPod. In fact, you could use this was any Bluetooth phone and a different, wired MP3 player. It does require charging (mini-USB) but wired listening works without power.

When Apple gets their A2DP Bluetooth stereo act together (probably when they have a bluetooth stereo headset to sell and not a second earlier!), you should be able to go 100% wireless!

7. jbellny thread starter macrumors newbie

MacToddB, many thanks for the suggestion. So they do have a wire for audio playback? All the pictures show it wirelessly, just wan to make sure I'm reading your reply correctly.

Also - would you say they're gym-worthy for running and stuff?

8. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Yes. They don't show the picture because they want to promote the wireless connection, but it does. It has a 2.5mm jack on the headset itself and it comes with a cable with a 2.5mm plug on one end and a standard audio jack on the other, which needs a little trimming to fit the iPhone.

Yes, they're pretty snug without putting too much pressure on the ears. I hate earbuds personally, and I wear glasses so it's hard to find an over the ear headset that I like, but I like these.

Now if Apple will just bring A2DP to the iPhone as they've done w/ Leopard, I'll be all set...

9. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

Don't you mean 3.5mm?

10. MacToddB macrumors 6502a

MacToddB

Nope. I know, it's weird. The headset has a 2.5mm port like you'd find on a traditional cellphone. The other end of the cable is a standard 3.5mm jack that needs a little xacto knife work to fit the iPhone. But that's not a typo...it's a 2.5mm port. Maybe they couldn't fit 3.5mm or they planned to make it work with non bluetooth cellphones?