Over to the "Dark Side".

Discussion in 'iPad' started by masshlx, Nov 26, 2011.

1. masshlx macrumors newbie

Hello. As a long time Windows user I've never been interested in anything Apple, outside of an Ipod, one which I have owned, in various forms, for 8 years. My wife and I are looking for a replacement for our desktop computer, decided on Ipad,will be waiting for 3 to come out. When I told this to my brother a lifetime Apple user (both brothers are Appleholics) his response was "Welcome to the Dark Side!".
    I could save money and buy a Kindle Fire, but it wouldn't be the same. Bring on March (or whenever the release date is).

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Good for you! I'm confident you'll enjoy the iPad a lot.

Some call it the dark side, but I call it the easy side.

3. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

Good luck with your choice. Many people find that they've "overbought" both laptops and desktops for their requirements. And in those cases, the iPad can be an excellent substitute. On the other hand, many others find that trying to replace a desktop or laptop with an iPad is like buying a Mini to replace an F-150 pickup. It may enable you to take the stuff to the dump, but you'll have to make five trips instead of one.

I find the iPad is an excellent complement to my other computers but not a substitute by any stretch. YMMV.

4. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

An iPad will not replace a desktop computer, even a Windoze one. It can add to a desktop or laptop experience, but not replace.

If you need a desktop, an iMac is the way to go.
    If you need the functionality of a desktop in a small, lightweight form factor, then the Macbook Air is the way to go.

Just my opinion though.

5. masshlx thread starter macrumors newbie

Should have said my whole inventory at the start. We have a strong enough laptop right now, good for everything we need, now and in the near future. Desktop is 10 years old, gone as far as it can.

6. EvilShenaniganZ macrumors 6502

EvilShenaniganZ

How can it be the dark side? In doing this you are saying the "good" side is Windows. Most would agree that it would have to be the opposite then. So going Apple would be "joining the good guys or the good side"
    If almost everybody uses an IPad than it is far from the dark side

7. iAmYou macrumors 6502

iAmYou

I don't get "the Dark Side" if we're using star wars analogies to compare apple to windows. I would think Apple is the rebel alliance and Microsoft as the evil empire.

8. jsh1120 macrumors 65816

In that case an iPad is a fine addition.

9. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

In that case, an iPad will be perfect.

10. GTANJ macrumors member

Are you sure you need an iPad then? It sounds like you want an iPad but definitely don't need it, since you already have a more than capable laptop.

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wants vs. Needs. Apple has a way of tipping things drastically in favor of wants. ;)

12. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

it has been called the "Dark Side" because the number of Apple computer users is quite small compared to Windows users

13. SporkLover macrumors 6502

Or Microsoft as the ailing Galactic Republic, and Apple as the up and coming Galactic Empire.