Overall, are you happy with Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Axemantitan, Aug 29, 2009.

?

Overall, are you happy with Snow Leopard?

1. Works perfectly (or nearly so)

141 vote(s)
    58.8%
  2. Works generally well (with some complaints)

67 vote(s)
    27.9%
  3. Undecided/somewhat unsatisfied (but sticking with it)

22 vote(s)
    9.2%
  4. Dissatisfied (and maybe going back to Leopard/Tiger)

10 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. Axemantitan macrumors 6502

I have read complaints here about Snow Leopard installs and I have also heard that it is the best version of OSX yet. Overall, where do you fit in? Does it work perfectly (or nearly so), generally well (with some complaints), are you undecided/somewhat unsatisfied (but sticking with it), or are you dissatisfied (and maybe going back to Leopard/Tiger)?

2. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

It fixes many of my Leopard annoyances and for that I like it.

3. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I like it and think it was worth 30 dollars. We really won't see the advantages of technologies like OpenCL for a long time but when we do there will be huge performance increases. I just wish I had an nvidia based gpu in my mac. The only problem I had with SL is after I rebooted during the install it hung and I had to force a shutdown and then restart it.

4. DavieBoy macrumors 6502

DavieBoy

Just mad that my aquarium screen saver will not work.

5. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Nope not happy, I had finder crash on me a lot and i cant even upload to youtube using their upload page. i can only upload with imovie up to a minute of a clip. dont know whats going on im frustrated. i tried searching for an answer but got nada. :(

6. jaykk macrumors 6502a

7. whitby macrumors newbie

Some unexpected failures

Installed the upgrade Saturday. Uneventful but now my Logitech keyboard (diNovo, Mac Edition) function keys no longer work and the caps lock key indicator does not function. Reverted to an Apple keyboard. No upgrades on the Logitech site and the one version of the control center they have refuses to install due to the incompatible OS version. Also Apple's Aperture crashes (even after upgrading to 2.1.4 before the upgrade) and crashes the machine completely (requires power switch to kill and restart). Now no longer functional. I will probably have to uninstall. A trial copy of Adobe Lightroom seems fine.

Also the machine feels distinctly slower and sticky (Finder takes longer to open etc.).

So far I am not impressed.

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm happy. I don't think I would be if I paid $130 for it, but at $30...it's decent enough. Seems a bit faster, lots of nice little tweaks and touches here and there, and I love the new Expose.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It's a work in progress but going back to Leopard is fine for now.

10. cainnovacaine macrumors regular

cainnovacaine

Not Apple's fault but...

I'd be happier if it continued what it started in the UI changes, for instance when you right click on a dock icon, the background is now black to match the stack view. Its really time for a dark menu bar option to match that. All this combined with the dock makes the user interface seem very mismatched and piece meal. But if I'm only complaining about a lack of advance in UI, things are overall good. It's kind of early now, I really want to see an example of Grand Central Dispatch and OpenCL before I decide if it really was worth $30

Also, I'm an unorganized mess. It would be great if Onyx would update to work with 10.6, but thats not an issue with Apple at all. Any alternative suggestions that still work similar to Onyx?

11. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    No problems yet, and I like the improvements I've noticed so far. :cool:

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Now that I've figured out a process from a long-deleted application was causing my massively slow shut down times (EyeConnect Watchdog and the EyeConnect stuff in Application Support - both now deleted) I couldn't be happier.

It's super zippy, Finder is like lightning now, Expose, Spaces etc are so smooth.

I did a clean install then restored from my Time Machine backup. Since I went through and got rid of all the old junk from years of stuffing around with random apps it's running like butter.

13. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I could not be happier!

Smooth installation, 10GB of recovered space and everything feels super snappy!

Oh, only thing... my Cisco VPN software no longer works because of 64bit mode. This was an issue for exactly, oh, say 2 minutes, until I found out Snow Leopard comes with VPN BUILT IN! :eek::eek::eek:

Wow!

14. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I had some initial growing pains but now I am quite happy-though the new battery status meter made to go to the Apple Store and had to get a new battery which was fortunately covered by AppleCare

15. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm pretty happy.
    I don't feel like I wasted $30, although I have had a few issues here and there like my supposedly supported Canon printer (purchased from Apple) not working... but all in all, it's good.

16. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I love it! It feels to me like a 10.6.8 OS. Not much to complain about really. I'm having a really tough time finding bugs so far. It's a lot better than Leopard in my opinion. Feels and looks so polished.

I can definitely tell that Apple went through Leopard with a magnifying glass and produced Snow Leopard to fix as many things as they could, while at the same time making it lighter and faster.

Also, I love the improvements on the graphic animations. The shadows stay on windows while being minimized or during Exposé.

The little things make this OS a worthwhile upgrade and for only $30, what have you got to lose? It's well worth $30! Heck, it feels like I upgraded to a faster computer and that definitely ain't $30!

17. AppleThis&That macrumors regular

AppleThis&That

I like the speediness of the OS but not happy with some minor bugs with my Logitech mouse. Found a work around though and works fine now with some special settings helped out in another thread.

I was watching some movie trailers from Apple.com and Quicktime is very nice with the interface disappearing. I also like the stacks and zoom bar feature in finder. Although, if you're a professional designer or photographer, Adobe Bridge is still more useful for previewing Adobe apps and images IMO.

18. Neotyguy40 macrumors regular

It works nicely, the new gamma options really bring the color out, and I've been noticing much better increases in speed. I have found a small handful of bugs, but Apple will fix them in the next 2-3 updates. Hope to see the first one in a few days...

For $50? I am completely satisfied with my computers' upgrades.

19. sputacus macrumors regular

Faster boot-ups and shut downs, increased bench marks, noticeably snappier when opening and using most applications. I would have paid $130 for the performance hit I got - $30 is sweet!!!

Did standard upgrade without any problems...

20. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Installation went flawlessly (took about 30 minutes) but I'm going to take a wait and see approach.

So far, I'm not blown away by any performance increases and have a few programs that aren't working like they did with regular 'ol Leopard.

21. California King macrumors 65816

Still a little buggy all around, but I'm sure 1 or 2 updates will fix the majority of them. The improvements definitely outweigh the negatives I've experienced.

22. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Thinking about going back to Leopard

I only have 2 things I dislike, one of which I can fix

1) I hate QT X, Luckily the previous version is there so I can just change files to open in the previous version

2) Incorrect reporting of disc space due to using base 10 now, my decision to go back to Leopard will be whether I can find a finder replacement that works as finder used to

23. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Might as well switch to another OS now. But, SL is reporting disk space correctly now.

S-

24. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

Thanks for that great help, but you could be right about switching to another OS

25. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

That's an immature attitude. Do you realize that the Finder is now showing you the correct sizes? Also, it doesn't handle files any differently.