Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
I know technically what the difference is and that LP is lower quality but exactly what kind of difference would I notice on a MiniDV tape?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
In terms of MiniDV there isn't a loss of quality between SP and LP, but LP is more likely to suffer a drop out and LP mode is not very widely supported by hardware and software.

If you need longer than 60min record time just pick up some 80min tapes.

Lethal

2jaded2care

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2003
Atlanta
My experience is, if you record in LP mode, you'd better capture from that same camcorder, or at least one of the same brand. You're most likely not going to get acceptable playback from a different brand of camcorder or deck, if a tape was recorded in LP mode.

Also, I tried using 80 minute tapes (in SP mode) recently, and was disappointed to observe occasional, minor artifacting on some of my tapes. (Of course, it had to be over peoples' faces, not, say, in a corner somewhere.) I attributed this to the thinner tape stock, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I didn't seem to have any problems with the 60 minute tapes used in the same camcorders immediately following (admittedly in SP mode as well), so I have to assume that the 80 minute tapes are not worth the add'l cost -- twice the price of the 60s. I'll stick to the 60s in SP mode if I can, LP if necessary.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
re: jaded's comment about different decks/camcorders,

this sometimes happens regardless of the setting or brand of tape used. From our experience, it's usually Sony/Canon that don't seem to like each other very much. Only 1x with Panny, but that might've been the tape itself.

The 80 minute tapes are rarely worth the money as they are disproportionately more expensive.

Capture from the same camera you shot with unless you have a deck or are capturing for someone else.

swwack91

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 28, 2007
New Jersey
thanks for all the info.

I figure I'd see what kind of results I could get with 60 min Sony MiniDV tapes in LP (90 min).

The image quality is just the same as the same tapes in SP mode and I'm capturing the video with the same camcorder.

Everything's just dandy.

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
No offense swwack...

Does anyone else wonder why we bother to answer questions on a forum, agree, and then the person that posted the question ignores the answer anyway?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.