Overall performance of SSDs in Retina MBP's when roughly half full

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Xeridionix, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Xeridionix macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I'm currently running with a 1 TB HGST hard disk in my 13-inch MacBook Pro since the price was right for the amount of storage. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm looking to replace my wife's aging MacBook Pro with a 13-inch of the same vintage that I currently have, which has led me to the possibility of doing another upgrade to a MacBook Pro with Retina display and passing my Mac down to her.

However, due to budget constrains I'm likely looking at a model with 256 GB of storage if I were to go down that route. I currently have ~152 GB of data on my computer which would leave roughly 100 GB of free space on the SSD in the MacBook Pro with Retina display.

I know that with some SSDs it's best to leave a fair amount of free space available for garbage collection in order for the drive to perform correctly. Is this also the case with the PCIe flash storage used in the newer MacBook's, or would this be a non-issue for me since I wouldn't have any issues with TRIM on these drives?

I'm not a huge fan of having to transfer data to external disks all the time so I would like to keep my iTunes library and whatnot on the internal drive for convenience purposes. I have everything that I need on the current machine so that 152 GB footprint isn't going to change a whole lot, and I don't mind necessarily archiving old data that I no longer need to an external drive since I do this now.

Thanks for any insight and advice you can provide on this matter, I greatly appreciate it. :)

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

Having 100/256 empty is not going to affect performance to any noticeable degree.

Enjoy your new computer.