Overall quality of the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GuillaumeB, Nov 26, 2007.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

Hi all,

So the iphone should come out in 2 days over here in France and I am wondering about the overall quality of the device.
    Being an Apple product one certainly expects a robust hardware. I have seen the screen crash tests and they're pretty impressive.

However I have read several threads concerning bubbles under the screen as well as keys from the virtual keyboard that would not work for no apparent reasons... So I have to admit that I remain a little bit anxious on those last points.
    Overall, what do you think about the phone quality after several weeks/months of usage? How would you compare this quality to your former device?

Thanks

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Excellent build quality, reliability and functionality.

Prone to cosmetic damage, particularly to the chrome bezel.

Overall it is a work of beauty and you will not regret buying it! :)

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I agree. Apple will most definatly replace those set backs if necessary, but its such few cases that its not a big deal. The chrome bezel will scratch but mine still looks great, overall, a great piece in every way, and a clear winner for me. Buy it, you wont regret it.

4. Wavell macrumors regular

Wavell

I must agree - it's the most solidly built phone I've ever owned (Nokia phones tend to squeak if you squeeze them !).

The only let-down for me (if you can call it that) is that the backing's made of plastic and not chrome (like the iPods) and also that, in the UK at least, it doesn't appear to pick up signal strength particularly consistently.

5. thworple macrumors 6502

thworple

I'm going to say this as someone who has had to have his iPhone replaced due to a screen crack problem (see here:- http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=392754), I love it, best product I have bought in a long, long time. :D

Nicest phone I've have ever used, and it does feel weighty and robust enough to suggest it will last a long while.

Only suggestion I would make is buy a case for it - protect the little beauty!

6. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

n95 squeeks ...... ALOT ! poorly designed for longevity.

The back bottom piece is plastic (black bit) but the silver part is metal. Painted in a macbook pro/macpro style. underneath should be shiny metal (i spilt bleach or something on my macbook pro and its peeled the paint off.)

7. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I have had the iPhone since the day it was released here in America and I am very happy with it. Before the iPhone I was using a Motorola Razr and the iPhone is soooo much better than that P.O.S. was. Most of the features on the iPhone are amazing and ahead of most phones on the market, even though the iPhone also lacks features in some spots. I have dropped my phone 6 or 7 times and it still works fine. I do not use a protective film on my screen and I am yet to have a scratch on the glass. I would say that the quality of the iPhone would probably be a 9.5/10. It is easy to use, has great features, I have had no problems, and in my opinion, it is the best looking phone on the market. A lot of the problems you will read about online in forums are not necessarily common problems, it just happens to be that these forums are places where people find to come for help.

8. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I dropped mine on the floor, then kicked it by mistake, then it hit the wall. not even a scratch. :eek:

9. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

my six year old son was watching youtube and the phone slipped out his hand. I watched in slow motion as it headed for the floor. No damage at all. And the phone was fine too. Lol.
    Buy one you(hopefully) will love it!!!

10. tonywob, Nov 27, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  11. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

No scratches on mine- people who have scratched theirs should probably look after it better. Accident prevention devices (covers) were designed for these people.
    If yours develops a bubble after time, methinks you should probably take it back for an exchange no?
    :eek:

12. ilanasaysrawr macrumors member

Haha, I'm saving up for the iPhone. Still a 10th grade student. The cost of the phone itself doesn't concern me. I'm concerned about the monthly bill.

What's the minimum cost with an unlimited data plan and unlimited text?